conifers

our conifers are huge and are growing close to our house, ive heard they can affect the foundations of the house ie the roots, is this true?
Any tree that is huge and growing close to the foundation has the potential to cause damage to the foundation.
Not only a threat to the foundation, also a potential fire hazard to your home. I used the horizontal 50 foot plus the height of the tree rule for clearing, including access road, when making land ready for house construction.
--
Jonny
"www.gardeners-advice.com" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

Good Point, I've heard some insurance companies requiring trees to both not overhang a house but have a certain distance from a home.
later,
tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com

Nevermind insurance companies. A little observance of "wildfires" on the West coast area of the U.S. is enough for me. They build their houses in the middle of the forest and wonder why they burn down. Forests, and other foliage areas naturally have burnoff, its nature's way of cleaning up.
You can have a few trees near the house for shade and eye appeal. The native tree clearance distance should be increased to prevent fire jumping to these, thus your house.
--
Jonny

Not mine. Tomes