Composting roadkill

Today's news reports several NY counties are putting roadkill deer in their compost piles. Seems very strange to me.

More than I ever wanted to know. Says they use the compost on the highway right-of-way where there is low pet and human contact. How comforting! Sounds like a lot of "low possiblity", "most of", and "unlikely" situations. Maybe in the long run it is for the better as the landfill is the alternative. I know I don't want it in my yard.
--
Jim

If a parsley farmer is sued, can they garnish his wages?
jthread wrote:

I'm confused about the "may contaminate water" concern. I can see how 50 dead bodies on top of each other might be a problem, but where do these people think wild animals go when they die?

Scavengers take care of dead animals in the wild. What did you think?
Chas Hurst wrote:

dead animals in the wild do not last long. Bones left in compost would be good source of phosphorous. I've seen deer carcasses in wild vanish in a week with only bones behind. Left long enough, mice may get bones.

Composting animals or parts of, is a bad idea for a home owner, IMO. It attracts vermin to the property.
'Chas Hurst[_2_ Wrote:

These people have the right answer to Road Kill http://tinyurl.com/yonu2a
David Hil
-- Dave Hill

Here in Pa, it's legal to pick up road kill and take it home-wasn't always like that.
Dave Hill wrote

Reminds me of this site: http://www.petsorfood.com /
Chas Hurst wrote:

*I* know that. I was questioning the logic of the above referenced article. The way it read, it seemed that "dragging carcasses further into the woods from the roads" was a bad idea as it could contaminate water.
My point was that there are far more animals in cities and towns dieing in the woods/parks somewhere than there are being composted or cremated. Using the above logic, we should all have disease-ridden water. :
Doesn't the answer lie somewhere in the total mass of roadkill vs. the capacity of local vermin to eat such roadkill vs. the locality of such roadkill to a human water source? See no such figures anywhere in that weblink. Seems more wishful thinking in a negative sort of way. Nothing to substantiate.
--
Dave
Profound is we're here due to a chance arrangement
Dave
Profound is we're here due to a chance arrangement

dead stuff my cats bring me gets dug under the trees as slow release fertiliser. A useful source of nutrition.
rob
makes some good mulch/fertilizer. .. the turkey vultures around here dont like the idea.. lucas