Compost mixture?

Hi: I have an area that used to be a childrens playground area in my back yard. I am going to convert it to a garden. There is a brick retaining wall surrounding the new garden area.

I expect I'll need between 8 and 10 cubic yards of dirt/compost for the garden. At our local landfill they sell some really excellent compost, reminds me of the land I see when I go thru Iowa. But compost really isn't dirt/top soil.

Could I use all compost for my garden? If not, what would be a good ratio for compost to dirt?

Reply to
salad

Sure. Most things grow pretty well in compost. We always have volunteers growing in our compost every year.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Landfill compost is a VERY bad idea if you're talking about a vegetable garden, but ok for a flower garden. You have no idea what herbicides & pesticides have been sprayed on the vegetation before it was hauled off to the landfill. Certainly not worth a health risk to save a few bucks. There is no standard ratio for compost-to-soil, it all depends on the soil itself. Compost adds organic material to the soil to keep it from compacting. If you have a heavy soil like clay, you need a lot of compost. If you have mostly loam soil you need very little compost. Bob S.

Reply to
Bob

IMHO,

Use it in your yard. An eating garden, you should have total control over what was used in the compost and you can't do it with landfill compost. It's a quality control issue. ;)

later,

tom @

Just Joshin

Thanks all for your input. I never thought of the pesticide issue regarding compost from the dump. I was planning on having it mostly be a flower garden but also wanted a few vegetables...there's enough space for them. I'll reconsider my options now.

Reply to
salad