Compost

We have been looking into different landscaping ideas and recently had a friend suggest using compost. He suggested laying this down over the weed barrier and then planting our flowers, trees, etc. My questions is are there any downsides that anyone has noticed to using compost? This is made of leaves, shrubbery, etc that has been baked and then sold. Any comments on why you like, or do not like using this type of compost is welcome!

Thanks!

Reply to
leafs4

Compost alone is usually too 'hot' for plant material by itself. It's usually used as an additive to the existing soil. By hot I mean it hasn't broken down to topsoil yet, and may burn your plant material.

I'd look at mixing compost and topsoil, if you value your plants. ymmv

Reply to
Steveo

As a few notes of clarification: Compost can mean many things. It is generally organic matter such as leaves, grass, wood chips, vegetable waste etc. that is in various stages of decomposition. As the material decomposes, it heats up. It is not "baked." If the compost is still hot/steaming, then the decomposition is not yet to the point that it is ideal for use. If it is in this condition, the compost will actually remove nitrogen fertilize from the soil until the decomposition is near complete, when it will provide the nitrogen and other fertilizers back to the plants. If the compost is very hot/uncomposted, it can damage plants. Most people mix compost with topsoil to create a good planting mix. In either case, better decomposed compost is best. Topsoil is not the same as compost. Topsoil is a mixture of organic and inorganic material, while compost is decomposing organic material.

Reply to
Jeff