compost

I have acompost bin, and I want to speed things slong. I was thinking of a commercial accelerant, but would rather use something cheeper, besides the usual kitchen waste. Any tips? Aldo should I put air holes in the bottom side panels of the bin for circulation? Thanks.

Reply to
bigjcw1023

I bought a 40 pound bag of dried molasses for about $10, and put a few handfuls in my compost bin. Within days, the compost almost caught on fire, and turned from leaves to black compost in less than a month. Guess it was hungry.

Reply to
Darryl

Thanks will give it a try. Where did you get yours?

Reply to
bigjcw1023

When I want to get my going I turn it really well, then water it and cover it. You should be able to fee heat from it by the next day.

I don't think you need to add anything, all the ingredients are already there - except elbow grease. Just try turning it more often.

Good luck!

Laura from MomsRetro.com

Any tips? Aldo should I put air

Yes, you need holes in the sides for air circulation. You can drill them a few inches apart.

Also, the bottom of the barrell and it should be resting on the earth, not concrete.

Reply to
Laura from MomsRetro.com