chain saw sharpening

Sould I try to sharpen my chain saw blade? Is it easy to do? or just take it to the guy that does this for a living.

Reply to
DrPhil

I always take mine to the pro. Plus, I always keep a spare chain sharpened.

John

Reply to
JB

It's easy. Clamp the bar in the vice, make a mark (so you know where you started), file it (with the correct size chain saw file for your bar in one of those 'clamp on' guides that shows the correct angle) and I give it about

6 to 8 strokes on each tooth. While you're there, check the bar oiling system, chain tension, and grease the nose roller. These are all things you should be able to do 'out in the woods' (without heading back to the "chainsaw guy" for every little thing).

Red

Reply to
Gomezz

If you think it's a blade, I am guessing you shouldn't try.

Make sure you don't hit nails, wire, etc imbedded in wood or rocks or stone - and keep the bar and chain out of the dirt. If you are carefull the chain should last for lots of cutting. From the way you talk I'm guessing you aren't using it much - probably should last a couple years. I work the hell out of mine and they last over a year.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

duh. meant chain:0

musta got into the dirt trying to cut into roots of stump left over from tree that fell during storm. Was new blade now makes dust when I use it. I am good at sharpening drill bits, never tried chain saw sharpening.

Reply to
DrPhil

Our local shops only charge $5 and they use a machine that lines the cut up right. I'm a retired tool and diemaker and I don't bother doing it myself. I do keep extra chains though - and I cut roots with an axe - never a chain saw.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

That's definetly reasonable for a professional job.

Reply to
Gomezz

I use a dremel adapter. It does a great job and is very easy to use, especially the 2nd + time ;)

Reply to
John Harlow

I tried doing my own once. It was time consuming and the results weren't the best. $6.50 at the hardware store is reasonable. I keep three blades on the shelf ready to go.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

I found a guy close by that will do them for $5 each so I took them to him. For that price, why not, huh. thanks for the input

Reply to
DrPhil