cedar apple rust

Hi. I've got cedar apple rust and I've got Ferbam. Is there any point to spraying Ferbam on the two apple trees if there are already dark spots on the apple leaves?? A lot on one tree and a little on the other which is a different variety.

I'll have to wash the apples extra well if they actually ripen, right?

I got confused and when I sall the spore balls with the tentacles on the juniper? bushes about 3 weeks ago, I thought that meant this was the year that my apple trees would be unaffected. There were only about 6 spore balls, and I was tired and didn't get them off until 2 days after I saw them. If I'd gotten them off 10 minutes after I saw them, would that have helped. I've had this problem for at least 5 years, and the apple trees lost some branches this season.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

I'm not sure that the dark spots on the leaves are cedar apple rust. Usually the spots are bright orange or yellow, sometimes having a dark spot in the middle. Here's a link to a Wisconsin Extension publication with a good picture of what the diseased leaves look like:

. If the picture doesn't match, check to see whether it's apple scab:
far as spraying for CA rust now, you won't cure what's already there, but if it just started, you might be able to keep it from getting much worse. If it's scab, other fungicides are more effective (listed in the factsheet mentioned above).

Good luck!

Suzy O, Zone 5, Wisconsin

Reply to
Suzy O

In alt.home.lawn.garden on Sat, 04 Jun 2005 03:50:48 GMT "Suzy O" posted:

That's a better description and it absolutely is CAR. I have all the symptoms.

Here's a link to a Wisconsin Extension publication with a

It's not. But thanks, anyhow.