Cat damage to lawn?

Hi, my friend has a sloping west facing lawn and lives in the North Eas
UK. He also has a huge sycamore tree in the far corner, next to th lawn. Unfortunately because of quite a wet winter, he didnt go ou into the garden for quite a while, and when he did there were numerou bald patches in the lawn, about a foot across.
The areas where there was no grass growing were quite flat and with n weeds. Could this be cat damage or maybe through fallen leaves bein allowed to lay on the lawn? He has used weed and feed before, but no since the summer last year.
Now he is trying to grow some grass seed he has sprinkled on. What i any deterrents are there for cats on grass? I thought they liked th soil to scratch about in?
Thanks in advance
-- Stikeebun

no, if your cats are lazy like mine they just shit on the lawn. Even if there are garden dug over for them to shit in they prefer the lawn. Luckily for me it is winter and the shit gets washed away fairly quickly. It could be cats although a foot across is quite a big patch so it need to be a big cat shit. I have just mown up some leaves and noticed bald patches as well. If you have several months of temperate wet weather ahead of you, and dependant on the type of grass, some of the dead looking grass should recover if it is cat shit or leaves.
rob

Luckily
well.
Years back when I used to let my cats outdoors I found it was cat pee, not shit, that was killing patches of grass. Though it would have to be a damn big cat to kill a foot-wide spot.
Jon
one feral cat lives under my neighbors shed.....she runs between both of our yards. Have yet to see any damage from her. Mow diligently without ever seeing any cat scat. We believed she was owned by someone till she had kittens under that shed. My neigbhor found an org. that came out trapped her and the kittens. The glitch is they spayed her but brought her back here but kept the kittens to be tamed and adopted. In my area raccoons will dig up huge areas of grass looking for grubs.