Care of Elm Tree

Hi, I have an American Elm which I understand to be an endangered tree due to Dutch Elm Disease. It needs to be pruned? as branches are leaning onto my roof. I am thinking that it is probably best to prune as little as possible but several people have suggested pruning much more because it will grow. It appears that I need a professional to do this job. The pruning will be done 70+ ft high. What should I be looking for in the pruner? Are there licenses or professional affiliations? Also are there specific questions to ask or best timetable to follow? I would not be happy with myself if my actions caused the demise of this tree.
Bill wrote:

Visit http://www.treesaregood.com /

Dutch Elm Disease may not be a problem in your area. Check with your local county extension office to see how prolific DED is in your area.
DED is caused a fungus carried by beetles which bore into the trunk, usually through wounds caused by wind damage or pruning. Diseased and/or dying branches are also a good source of beetle entry. Identify dying/dead branches with spray paint, then prune when the tree is dormant and beetles are not active. Immediately burn, chip, or bury all pruned wood. Do NOT save it for firewood.
My 100 year old elm died this year. Very very sad. We got innoculation shots for it last year but apparently, when the previous owner died, the shots lapsed for two years and that's all it took to get Dutch Elm disease.
HtH
Heidi the Horrible wrote:

The way I understand it, the injections are useless when root grafting occurs from a nearby infected tree.

Our arborist told us the tree lived so long because it was isolated from other elms. Elms in a pack have no chance.
HtH

And doesn't Dutch elm disease take quite a number of years to kill trees? I recall trees slowly dying over many years here in NJ when I was a kid. It seems unlikely to me that missing injections from a couple years ago could lead to the total demise of the tree that quickly.

I don't really know.
Our tree sprouted leaves this spring and the arborist came in May and said it was dying. We were surprised to hear that since it looked fine to us. A month later, all the leaves fell off and the last hurricane nearly brought it down...lots of bare branches fell off.
In the next couple of weeks, we will bring it down for good.
HtH