Can you use sand to level lawn?

I live in NE Alabama and our extreme drought has caused many sunk in holes or depressions in my yard. I have access to a couple of free, small truckloads of left over leveling sand, the kind used in construction. A friend wants to use this to fill in the holes in the yard. He says the grass will grow right over it and do fine. I don't share this opinion. I have 1 acre, on a lake, with St. Augustine in the front and mostly centipede in the back. The back slopes more than the front. The drought has damaged all of my grass but I have fertilized and have been extra careful about mowing. I keep the mower set on 2 1/2 to 3 inches in height. Both grasses are rebounding very well as this spring we have had abundant rainfall. I am concerned about putting sand out to fill the holes and depressions. What do you guys think? Should I accept this offer of free sand or wait and get some good topsoil.

Thanks, Howard

Reply to
Howard

Sand works fine, with a few caveats... It's generally done in early spring, and only put down about 1/2 inch at a time. If you fill a 2"-3" deep hole you'll have a sand spot for a while. My front yard looks like a fairway with 2 bunkers right now....

Reply to
Shanghai McCoy

If it was me I'd take the sand and have it dumped to the side. Then I'd start digging muck out of the lake bottom - maybe a wheelbarrow full at a time. I'd use the muck thinned out with a little sand.

with St. Augustine in the front and mostly

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Bermuda grass is actually a beach grass. Should work fine with some sand. Will take time for it to cover though. Not sure about your grass variants.

Sand is also beneficial if you have clay soil. Promotes drainage.

Steep inclines are not insusceptible to rainwash/high winds and consequential loss of sand. You have to stay on top of these areas.

Reply to
Dioclese

Thanks for all the good advice....I was really concerned that the sand would hurt my grass, but since these depressions are creating washes (on the slope part), I'm going ahead with the sand. I'm thinking about using my mantis tiller in the larger depressions to work the sand in with the soil. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

Thanks again, I appreciate the responses.

Howard

Reply to
Howard

Thanks for getting back to us Howard. So many times someone posts a question and never bothers to wrap it up. I for one appreciate your followup. Good luck with your project.

Sarge

Reply to
Srgnt Billko