can you help identify these plants

A neighbor has a corner garden of natural prairie grasses. Low green plants around the leading edge and then a BEAUTIFUL group of purple colored plants in the middle with pampas grass in the back.
It's the purple colored plants I'm trying to find the names and a source for. They are thick, about 24" tall, and had striking purple color in summer and well into late fall.
Unfortunately the homeowner hired a landscaper to do the planting and the homeowner speaks very little English.
I've looked on the web and can't seem to find the plant's name or source.
Please and thank you.

Cover me. I'm changing lanes. -- a bumper sticker
Purple loosestrife ?

and
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take the picture I found on the web and go over and compare.

Black magic elephant ears (colocasia)? Ligularia (my current addiction)?
Merle O'Broham also in Chicagoland