Can you also use an over-seeder to fertilize?

I'm renting a Bluebird S22 Seeder. Can I use it to not only seed (over-seed), but also to fertilize?

Reply to
Wes Stebbins

Theoretically, I guess you could, but I don't know why you would want to and I've never seen it done. You can spread fertilizer very quickly with a broadcast spreader, which you would need to have anyway if you're DIY.

The downsides would be:

1 - Can the seeder openings be set large enough for the particular fertilizer?

2 - If you mix the seed and fertilizer and apply it in one pass, it complicates figuring out the correct settings. Seeders are marked with some guidance ranges for various types of seed. With a mix, you're on your own. Plus mixing it to get the mix uniform is going to be a pain.

3 - If you apply it as a seperate pass, that's a lot more work compared to using a broadcast spreader. Plus it's tearing into the exiting turf again for no reason.
Reply to
trader4

Thank you - you're absolutely correct and I realized that after I posted my question. It's definitely faster and more efficeint to use a broadcast spreader.