Can I Prune Tropical Huniscus?

I want to garage/save a tropical Hibiscus this winter - should I prune it first? If so, how extreme? Thanks

Jethro

Reply to
Jethro

Where are you located? If zone 9 or lower, is the garage insulated/heated? Does it have a lot of windows? Some tropical Hibiscus like a lot of light. Room in the house may be a better choice to over-winter. A sunny window will most likely keep it blooming throughout the winter, which is always a plus.

A good drenching with a systemic pesticide, suitable for HOUSEPLANTS (Read the *ENTIRE* label. If it doesn't say houseplant on it, find a different product.) would also be wise. Whiteflies, among others, LOVE Hibiscus, and when they finish with it, they'll find your other houseplants. ;)

Is it out-of-control large?

It will branch out where you prune it, so it would depend on how you'd like it to branch out, as well as whether you'd like it to be a shrub or tree shape. They do well as both.

"Tropical Hibiscus" covers a whole range of plants. Some can tolerate lower light levels better than others. None actually go dormant. Keep that in mind over the winter. Most people are told not to feed plants in the wintertime, but since Hibiscus don't go dormant, they'll still need *some* nourishment. If they're in a darker place than they like, you may only have to feed them half as much as normal.

I know you wanted a more straightforward answer, but your question was a bit more vague than it probably should have been. Knowing things such as your location and the cultivar you're speaking of, helps tremendously. Try doing a search on over-wintering tropical hibiscus. If you're not sure what cultivar you have, you could try the Plant Files, at

. They've a pretty vast database of plants, as well as their care.

HTH

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Not knowing what zone you are in or what kind of hibiscus you have, all I can say is that I live in south eastern Virginia, (zone 7) and I don't do anything to my 3 types of hibiscus except cut them off when it freezes and mulch them a bit more than other plants and they are several years old.

If you put them in the garage for the winter, I would water them. If you live a bit more north, maybe zone 6, you might try to leave them outside with "wall-o-water" It makes a little mini green house. I kept a bougainvilla (i know that is spelled wrong) alive 2 years outside using the wall-o-water thing and we do get several some hard freezes every year.

Reply to
sp628