Can anyone identify this flower?

For the second year in a row, this plant has flowered in my garden. I don't remember planting it and have no idea what it is or how it got there. Pretty sure it's not a weed though.
It only started flowering a week ago but is in a very shady location, sort of a hosta-type area for sunlight. Am considering replanting it to a sunnier location next spring if it will tolerate more sun.
There's a picture of it at:
http://www.treadles.ca/flower.jpg
You could also try rec.gardens and alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

snipped-for-privacy@treadles.ca wrote:

My guess is a lily.
Looks like a wild tiger lily
snipped-for-privacy@treadles.ca said:

It's a variety Japanese Toad Lily (_Trycirtis_ species, possibly T. hirta). Best in a woodland or part-shade garden (morning sun rather than afternoon sun).
An assortment of Toad Lilies to look at here (scroll down): http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Fall/page67.html
I have some growing along my brick path, along with other shade plants, and it's blooming right now.
--
Pat K. ('someplace.net' is comcast)