brown/black "puffs" growing in lawn

Hello,
I have these things in my yard that look like brown buff balls (almost like large mushrooms). Last year when I had these I accidentally popped one and they let out a lot of black/brown dust. I can take pictures if necessary, but I figured someone might know exactly what these are. Any idea? They're isolated in one area -- same as last year.
Thanks! Mike

Those are little dioxin balls. Don't pop 'em unless you have a hazmat suit on.
I can't find much information on "dioxin balls," but obviously dioxin should be a concern.
You said they were little, but in actuality there's not small. Probably 4-5" in diameter at the top. How do these things grow? Is there something wrong with my lawn? I'd be interested in knowing more if you can point me in the right direction.
Thanks for the help!

I uploaded pictures that I just took a few minutes ago. Are these definitely dioxin balls? I appreciate the help.
http://img365.imageshack.us/my.php?image 0062725hh.jpg http://img365.imageshack.us/my.php?image 0062827ez.jpg http://img365.imageshack.us/my.php?image 0062920ft.jpg
Thanks.

Ocsar_Lives is yanking your chain. There ain't no such thing.
That said, I'm guessing a fungus/puff ball of some kind, but I've never seen one like it before.

Do you have a university or college nearby? There may be someone there who can ID it for you.
--
The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the soldier
accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he

Mike
When I was a kid we called them puffballs.
http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Mushrooms.Folder/Puffball.html
Down the page there are examples of different types of puffballs
Ken

Neat site!
--
"Let's just admit that public education is mediocre at best." -- Frank Zappa

Weird. So is that what this is?

It's a fungus. Get some fungicide from your local garden center. Print a picture and take the remains of one of them (in a clear plastic bag) and let them suggest what to use. I'd venture any regular fungicide would take care of them.
Cool. Thanks for the tip.

Mike, Are the balls hollow inside... like some sort of bag?