Briggs & Strattin Flywheel removal

First off, I hope that this is an exceptable thread for this group.

My father-in-laws lawn tractor (MTD) has a 14.5 HP B&S engine with OHV's.

Long story short, exhaust valve broke off and put a hole in the piston. I am in the process of removing the engine from the tractor but I wanted to get the flywheel off while the block was still mounted in the tractor frame (so it doesn't move around so much}.

The tractor is 8-10 years old and the flywheel is on the crank real good. I have tried soaking in Kroil for the good part of the day with no improvement. I have also tried heating the area around the crank on the flywheel with a heat gun and tapping on the flywheel with a hammer while having a gear puller applying pulling force on it, didn't move.

Anyone have any ideas? I am drawing a blank now.

TIA, Ron

Reply to
Ron

mudpiemaker42

If your gear puller is attached to the flywheel by bolts, put a strain on the pullers draw bolt and give the draw bolt a sharp rap with a hammer. If your puller is the jaw type put it aside and position the flywheel retaining nut flush with the end of the crankshaft. Using a suitable purchase, pry on the flywheel with a crow bar while giving the nut on the end of the crank a sharp rap with a hammer. Either one of these methods has always worked for me.

Reply to
Chas Hurst