briggs and stration engine

hi I have a B & S 10hp and it was running great older model like 1988 craftsman riding mower and cant get it to fire and firing good and I put new plug in it and checked all the wires but nothing now anyone have a idea what else it could be thanks Jim

Did you check for spark?
Hello, take the top cover off the engine and check the flywheel and coil for rust
GARAGE OWL wrote:

This has happened to me several times. Here is what I do. I remove the spark plug and check it for ANY fouling and then put in a squirt of gasoline - not too much. Replace the spark plug, attach the plug wire and try to start it then. That has always worked for me.

the plug cleaned the flywheel and checked wiring but no fire from the plug yet any suggestions please help ......Jim
Hello, have you looked at the flywheel key it could be sheared? also have you checked the gap between the flywheel and coil? I would guess this mower is a electronic ignition model so no points it could be the ignition module on the coil, you said you checked the wiring so i would guess you have power to the positive side of the coil? if this doesn't work than i would replace the module if this is old enough it does have points i would make sure they are working and have the coil checked. I have seen the ignition switch go bad and no power to the coil.
uvdoc wrote:

Anything like this causes me to rebuild the carburetor. You can buy a kit with replacements for all the jets and gaskets, but the only one that matters is the large gasket that separates the two major parts of the carb. It has the accelerator pump diaphragm on it. It takes about a half hour and no special tools are needed.
message

Please explain how rebuilding the carburetor would have any improvement to a malfunctioning ignition system.