Bosco - the 4th

Felt a need to tell you - the 4th battery charger (from a yard sale) is a 10 amp, 6 or 12 volt. LOL

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

I only got 1 battery charger. it is the only one I've ever had. the thing has served me well now for just over 14 years. earlier this month I left it connected to the combine and it got rained on. must have shorted because the ground fault receptacle it was plugged into tripped. after the charger dried out I plugged it back in and it still works just fine. the unit has some good features. you can either set it to be on until you remember to go and turn it off or you can use the dial timer for a 12 hour charge. you can choose a 2 or 10 amp charge or a .3 amp trickle charge. it also has a 50 amp starter boost circuit. the meter allows me to see how weak the battery is so I can get a good idea of how long to set the timer. the meter also shows me if the alternator on the equipment is putting out. handy that one is since all my tractors and combine only have a charging light which is useless for telling me if the alternator is weak or dying.

Reply to
Jim

Sounds good to me. I don't understand what the original poster is doing to burn them out in a couple months. The only thing yours lacks for me is the

6 volt capability for my 1950's Farmalls and Massey Harrises.
Reply to
Srgnt Billko

the original setup on the John Deere 4020 was 2 six volt batteries. the oem or after market batteries which would fit into the original battery boxes were costing me 160 to 180 dollars a set and after about 2 years they would not spin the motor fast enough to crank the tractor. I got really tired of that after the 3rd set. so I found a 1200 cca 12 volt, built myself an external battery box and bolted it to a mainframe side rail. this 12 volt is in its 3rd year and still doing a great job. the low temp for tonight is supposed to drop to 27F so I think I'll give cranking the 4020 in the morning a go just to see how strong that battery is after being cold tested.

as for the op and his troubles, maybe he is shopping at sears?

Reply to
Jim

ha, maybe if the next one is bought by someone else the deity "in charge" might be faked out ...

fwiw I bought them at Wally World, Home De Pot, and Lowes

Merry Christmas :)

Reply to
Bosco