Beware of this vine!

This vine appeared 2 years ago here in NY. I didn't pay too much attention to it until it started to grow over desirable plants
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/20/dscn0029wy.jpg/ After the first year that I saw it, this was the result the second year and third year (this pic is the third year).
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/135/dscn0365j.jpg/ You can see the vine starting to grow at lower left, center, and lower right. Since then, i have started to pull the vines whenever I saw them. The vines are shallow rooted so they pull out of the ground easily. They have tiny thorns along the stem, so if you have callous hands, as I do, they can be pulled bare handed, otherwise use gloves. It's name is Persicaria Perfoliata, or Mile-A-Minute Link to description of plant.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/4/dscn0364ss.jpg/
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote the following:

Sorry, that last pic was from my camera. Here's the link http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/pepe1.htm
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote the following:

I should have said that this is a 2 year old picture of the vine covering a 7 or 8 foot high multiflora rose bush, whose springtime aroma was very pleasing. You can see what's left of the white roses trying to peek out from under the vine at the bottom left and right of the picture.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak said:

Yikes! Any plant able to overwhelm a multiflora rose -- an invasive, though attractive, thug itself -- is truly a menace!
http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/plants/mileminute.shtml
http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/plants/multiflorarose.shtml
--
Pat in Plymouth MI