Best way for clearing back yard for planting

I have a problem and I need some advice. I have a small back yard that is quite shady that back to woods. We have a small lawn and 2 large trees surrounded by a weeded dirt area that needs to be cleaned of all roots and weeds before I can plant there. What is the best way to clean up that area for planting? Do I need one of those small earth movers or can I do this by hand? I would really like to fix this up to look nice but I definitely need some advice.

Reply to
babeejm

Andrew Duane