Best type of pots for patio?

I'm a man and a bachelor... so not a lot of knowledge of plants and gardening
I have a small patio id like to 'class up" a bit by using pots and plants
Question...many types of post to chose from. What is best type and material for low maint pots and plants?
I'm thinking HARD plastic over the softer foam pots, right?
I would also move these pots INSIDE my house in winter and grow low care plants in winter as well. Peace Lily's?
Anyway....advice on pots please?