Best time to Aerate and Dethatch my lawn (Cool Season)

I've been reading books on lawn care and they all recommend that I aerate and dethatch my lawn in the fall because I live in Michigan and have cool season grass. I would like to do these things this coming spring. By doing so would I be gaining any true benefit or even possibly harming my grass? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
daniel99mp

yes.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

No problem with doing it in the spring as long as the soil isn't too wet. Don't put down your pre-emergent crabgrass control till you're done disturbing the turf. If you do it in the fall you can follow it up with an over-seeding.

Reply to
Steveo

Why do you want to do it out of season? If you dethatch now, you will undoubtedly spread around weed seeds of all types.. Especially Crab and Wire grasses. If you plug aerate now, you will plant those weed seeds better than Ma Nature does. Spring and early summer are for maintenance of existing lawn and existing weeds. If you have a compaction problem, spread gypsum now and plug aerate heavy in the fall or late summer in Mich., let the "wounds" heal over then overseed.

Reply to
Garden Viking

Advice I was given (and also saw on an ask this old house episode), was to dethatch in the spring and aerate in the fall. Not sure on the reasoning behind the timing of the dethatching; however, you aerate in the fall as opposed to the spring to prevent driving the weed seeds into the soil.

rw

Has anyone tried one of the traveling sprinklers that is of the hose reel type. I am looking at the Rapid Rain Model 860 by Mobile Irrigation Technologies. I saw it at

and am comparing it to Microrain. Seems to be a much better bang for the buck and its made here in the ole US of A

Reply to
AgMan