Best insecticide for adult mosquitos????

30G/M http://NewsReader.Com /

snipped-for-privacy@rock.com wrote in

mosquitoes don't travel more than 100yards from point of origin, so the first thing you need to do is get rid of any standing water. if water puddles under your deck (or in your gutters) for 4 days or longer, you're breeding mosquitoes. those mosquito magnet things that run on propane do work for small yards. put it as far from the deck as you can so you don't bring the mosquitoes to you. i have over 20 acres of marsh & wetlands, but since i'm a fanatic about standing water & we got the chickens, we have no mosquitoes near the house. the mosquitoes in the swamp don't fly up to the house. go down there & you get eaten alive though ;)
lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery

There are an awful lot of mosquito varieties in Texas, and they all behave differently. The texas cooperative extension has this to say about controlling them:
http://insects.tamu.edu/extension/bulletins/l-1744.html
enigma wrote:

GOOD JOB Lee! treat the source origin of the problem by removing the mosquitoes ability to breed in an area where we really don't want to have mosquitoes.
my 4 acres of marsh & wetlands is recently redefined by the county tax office as waste land. I asked, is that because the mosquitoes are in charge down there? county tax agent LOL and gave me a nice tax break on this Farm as a result of being made aware of what the county soil and water agent already knew. looks like the county tax agent and the county soil and water agent would have talked this over during one of their governmental guy-type trips to europe or hawaii before I got my new tax bill and began the protest... sure was nice of the county soil and water agent to help me out at that point by explaining to the county tax agent how he'd never be able to put a yankee house down there in that swamp. it was then 4 acres of marsh & wetlands got redefined as waste land. I'm guessing if the tax agent can't see a future revenue from a relocated yankee then it's waste land and with that idea, next I'm going to attempt to have my entire Farm redefined as waste land. can't hurt to try..
my advice to the original poster would be to inspect their entire 1/4 acre estate for inconspicuously placed cat food cans filled with water, like LOOK under the deck or all through the hedge. turn over a little mulch in that hedge :)

Your best bet is to opt for a mosquito magnet, They work wonderfully.
Another option is to install several bat houses, one brown bat can eat up to 3000 mosquitoes each night.
~Liss www.budget101.com
snipped-for-privacy@rock.com wrote:

Have you considered sneaking some of those bats from under that bridge in Austin? All kidding aside. After we successfully evicted the bat colony from our attic, we began to notice the mosquitoes as an annoyance. In the succeeding 2 years, the external bat house acquired tenants, there is evidence that they're present in some of the outbuildings, (but nothing like what it was like when the breeding colony was in the house) and the mosquito population has fallen back below the annoyance threshold.
Or you could try attracting Purple Martins
And if all else fails, see if you can locate one of those "Yard Fogger" type aerosol cans and fog the living daylights out of the holly bushes.
--
The biggest problem with our bounty of coal is not what it does
to our mountains or the atmosphere, but what it does to our minds.

I just read in another group the way to limit skeeters in living areas.
Take a white plate and fill with water. Add a couple drops of Lemon Fresh Joy dishwashing detergent. Set it away from where people sit.
The skeeters will be attracted to the white dish or the lemon smell or whatever, drink the soapy solution, and die within 10 feet of the plate.
Pretty easy and cheap to try. Let us know how it works on them Texas skeeters. ;>
Deb
--
If *I* ran the world, we'd all face different challenges! ;>

Well, I'm going to try a product called Mosquito-B-Gone. It's in a plastic bottle you screw onto the end of a water hose, then spray it. Should work.
Ron

I've used this product, and do find that it helps for a few days. I spray the house, deck, shrubs, trees, and anything else within hose distance.
I don't think this product kills the critters. I think it just drives them away.
On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 14:29:38 -0400, Kyle Boatright wrote:

What it doesn't do is kill the larva, so there will be a new batch in a couple days.
The best way to control mosquitoes is to control standing water in your area, like ponds, lakes, and little things like that. Well, lakes aren't so little. But there are some insecticides you can spray around your house and introduce into areas of standing water that aren't terribly dangerous. I'm at a lack for an example right now, but here's a page about how to get rid of mosquitoes:
http://www.getridofthings.com/getridofmosquitoes.htm
Good luck,
Sam