Best insecticide for adult mosquitos????

Page 1 of 2
We live in a semi-rural area - houses 100 yards or so apart - and have a serious problems with mosquitos bedding down around the house in shrubs, etc. There's a row of holly next to the garage, for example, if you agitate it with a stick, HUNDREDS of mosquitos come pouring out. They're also collecting under our deck, and a couple of other places.
I tried spraying the holly very thoroughly, inside and out, with a general purpose insecticide from Home Depot - triazine, something like that, it was in a red plastic bottle. It had NO effect on the mosquitos. What can we spray these places with to kill them? How about malathion? And please, bunny-huggers and anti-pesticide loonies, don't bother..
Thanks Ron M. in central Texas
We live in a semi-rural area - houses 100 yards or so apart - and have a serious problems with mosquitos bedding down around the house in shrubs, etc. There's a row of holly next to the garage, for example, if you agitate it with a stick, HUNDREDS of mosquitos come pouring out. They're also collecting under our deck, and a couple of other places.
I tried spraying the holly very thoroughly, inside and out, with a general purpose insecticide from Home Depot - Sevin. It had NO effect on the mosquitos. What can we spray these places with to kill them? How about malathion? And please, bunny-huggers and anti-pesticide loonies, don't bother..
Thanks Ron M. in central Texas
I am not sure where you live, but most of the good stuff isnt available to consumers for good reason. Contact your county's health dept and see if they will spray them for free. It is a public health risk.
Mike Robinson wrote:

I'm beginning to get that impression. You would think there's SOMETHING I could just spray some bushes with that would kill them. I'm not talking about large-scale eradication, just spraying a row of bushes and under the deck. I know about county agents, but I seriously doubt that I could pursuade one to come 30 miles out of town just to spray under somebody's porch.
Thanks anyway, though, Ron
The problem is most of insecticides that are really effective against mosquitos are highly toxic and require a full exteriminators license. I hold a half licence and can do everything except what you are asking. I was just looking and apparently Pyrethrum is a good low toxic insecticide against flying insects.
Mike Robinson wrote:

"half license" LOL that's pretty funny.

Its not funny its how it works where I live. I work under a person with a full exterminators licence, and I only have to pay for a "half" licence which costs $400 less than a full one.
Mike Robinson wrote:

now this gets even funnier. if I remember correctly my state testing cost me 25 dollars. after passing the state test my actual license cost 50 dollars a year. certification is good for a certain number of years. one can earn class credits during those years or retake the state test after the certification expires. my license is valid anywhere in the state of NC for any pesticide application.
in NC, people who work under my direct supervision don't pay. they work, earn and get paid.
http://ipm.ncsu.edu/pesticidesafety /

A full licence is $150 for your first catagory, $135 for each additional plus $90 per catagory for a 5 year peroid. A half licence which enables one to work under indirect supervision costs about $65 but you have to be under a full licencee. How is it funny?
Mike Robinson wrote:

goes to show how each state has employed the concept of 'states rights' whereby they each test the waters to see exactly just how much they can extract from each 'tax paying module'.
I'm not american and the course is only offered through a university and is an actual course.
Mike Robinson wrote:

immigrate?

well, I'm pleased with how a system was devised and put into place whereby joe-homeowner can't get his uninformed hands on restricted use pesticides... although it is rather sad watching joe-homeowner go and buy watered down products and then thinking to himself how he is actually going to accomplish his desired result...

LOL no I live in Canada.

The big thing here in Ontario is the municipal governments were given the power to ban pesticides, even though it is regulated by the provence and federal governments. But the key is they can ban professional licensed HIGHLY trained people from spraying them, but the products are available at the store still, even in watered down form. It's an expensive system but it makes sure the people trusted with the products are 1) trained 2) willing to invest the money in training so they are willing to invest money into insurance and saftey 3) responsible.
Mike Robinson wrote:

I spent a little over 18 years working for Nortel [BNR]. traveled many many times from RTP to several different cities in Canada. Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec, Toronto, Brampton, Nepean, ST. Laurent. as a visitor, I kind of liked Canada, the place, the land, the climate.
btw - it was your turn to LOL. it just ain't right for me to have all the laughs. got to share, you know!
<g>

trained, training, safety and responsible are all good words where chemicals and pesticides are concerned.
good day 2U - eh

We HAD a nortel plant here in my town (Kingston, between Toronto and Ottawa, home of a ton of NHLers) which was turned into a Norcom CDT plant whcih shut down recently.

the
at
they
Mike Robinson wrote:

[....]
before my employment with Nortel I spent a number of years with ITT. Nortel's telecom switch gear beat anything ITT had and that's why Nortel saturated north america with DMS technology. sometimes the best actually will win the competition. kind of a shame what happened to Nortel. a mix of events lead to their major down sizing and out sourcing of their manufacturing process. I adore the english Canadian pronunciation of the words [process and schedule] and I miss hearing that.

Ottawa,
shut
Odd most americans make fun of the way we talk, eh?
Mike Robinson wrote:

[....]

I am Southern Boy and very different from most americans. I enjoyed Canada and I got along well with the english speaking people up there.

DDT... Effective and safe. Unfortunately, you'll have to find someone with pre-ban stock.

Ask for some ester of sivex for htc weed control too.
--
30G/M http://NewsReader.Com /