Bermuda grass question

Andy writes,

In my yard, I have Bermuda grass that I put in last summer. It is sparse and thin and looks about like the hair on my head.....

In my garden , I have another strain, apparently, of Bermuda. It is growing well and sending out rhyzones and stolones and doing everything that it can to take over my garden.

How can I get the Bermuda in my yard to take on the characteristics of the Bermuda in my garden? Is there something like giving more water, less water, more fertilizer, less fertilizer, mow it long, mow it short ---- that will stimulate runners and make it more plush ??

Thanks,

Andy in Texas

Reply to
AndyS

aerate 1 or twice in growing season, works like magic, takes a year or two

Reply to
Joe

How much sun, water, and fertilizer does your yard get? Also, how compacted is your soil, and where do you live?

With 8 hours/day of direct sun in a warm climate, a couple of inches of water a week, uncompacted soil, and 4, 5, or 6 lbs of nitrogen per 1,000 sf/yr, the stuff will grow like... well like bermuda grass. That is to say very quickly.

Since the bermuda in your garden grows well, I assume your climate is appropriate, so you need to check on sun, water, fertilizer, and soil compaction in your lawn.

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Water often in this heat, mow often, if it is not in the sun it won't do well.

Best fertilizer I have found is Greensense Lawn and Garden Fertilizer 6-2-4.

Reply to
Latosha Washington