Back Yard Patio Paver-Base Question

We're putting in a dutch cobblestone patio in the back yard about 13.5 x 12 feet. We measured everything, set up the strings, dug the hole, put in 6" of paver-base and compacted it. I realized today that we forgot to measure 8" past the padio borders so our paver-base is exactly the size we want our patio to be.
My question is: with a small patio like ours, is it imperative to have the 8" of paver-base beyond the patio border or could we just get longer stakes for the paver edging? Our soil is clay so I was thinking maybe if we found some 2-foot (or longer) stakes, they might hold.
Opinions?
--
Jerry