Azalea Root Rot ??

My Mom has some very old Azaleas, probably at least 50 years old. They have always done very well, and bloom well this year. I cut them back for her each year, usually doing just a "trim" , but at times I cut them back 1/3 of their total height, and there has never been a problem. This year, they were just "trimmed."
Here in Fla, we had a lot of rain in the Spring and early Summer. These azaleas are now dying from something. She took a sample to a nursery, and they said it looked like root rot. I did not talk with them myself, but it seems their opinon was that there was no cure.
I have thought there is nothing to lose, to go ahead and cut them **way** back, in the hopes that might rejuvenate them some how. I have told her not to water them for a while.
Any other ideas ?????????
Thanks for any help !!
--James--
Whats the Ph of the soil?
[...]
I don't know the ph of the soil, but does it change over the years ???
--james--

may not even be a problem for you..or you'll need to add lime to counter it..
Depends on what your PH reads. (where do you live?)

I just realized you're talking about Azalea's and not turfgrass. <sorry>
No problem, thank you.
We gave the azaleas a good pruning, and that may allow them to come back stronger. Even though it is summer, I can see small green growth coming back on them already.
--James--