applying fertilizer

I fertilized my lawn for the first time. I borrowed my neighbour's drop spreader. When I returned it to him he asked if I did a perpendicular pass when applying. He mentioned that I would get lines in my grass...where the fertilizer would have been missed.
Well. I didn't realize that spreading fertilizer is like painting a wall. You would have to stare for a very long time to find the art in the design that I left (my yard shape is irregular). I thought that the fertilizer would spread in the soil after a rain...actually, I wasn't thinking...
How much time should laps before applying more fertilizer?
Matt

right now, here in N Ohio.
I'd be using a broadcast spreader instead of a drop, with no weed control..food only.
Run it at half rate, in both directions. Then get your lawnmower gassed up. :)
--
I won't retire, but I might retread.

Thanks for the reply.
I'm in Eastern Ontario.
I cut the grass last Saturday. My back yard faces south...
Don't I risk burning if I re-apply so soon? Or does that happen only if there is weed control?
Thanks,
Matt

I won't retire, but I might retread.

About 2 months should be the minimum between applications. Personally, I fertilize once in spring, then twice in fall. Too much nitrogen, especially combined with hot weather and water promotes disease and fungus. The lawn may be a little less green, but more likely to have less problems.
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (Chet Hayes) wrote:

--
I won't retire, but I might retread.

No, you risk buring the grass when applying too much...
If it makes you feel any better my lawn is a mosaic of super-green splotches from early season repairs. Sure beats the mess that was there before. cj