Anyone know JD Lawn Tractors?

Page 1 of 2
Hi,figured I better check-in here with My quest..I have spoken for an estimated 25yo JD lawn tractor,,12 1/2horse,,mower deck and single stage snow blower attachment,,recent engine re-build,,whatever "recent" is and a new seat..The price is $200,,,sound about right? My Bro-in-Law is using it this Winter then come spring it's Mine..I ca'nt really justify a new rig for this lawn alone and the small lot accross the street..I blew-up the Murray rider,,got it for $75 tho and used 2 seasons.. Does Anyone know the original cost(estimated)of the above JD? Also I'm thinking I'd like to trade the snowblower for a plow attachment,,how likely is that?heh heh.. Thanks Dean
John Deere?

Rapid wrote:

Yes,,John Deere,,I've since spoken with My Bro-in-Law,,it is model 111,,rebuily engine n carb 5-6 years ago.. Dean

Sounds OK to me. I have a 30 yo JD 110 and am not familiar with your 12 1/2 hp but my 8hp handles the single stage blower very well. I would say any JD that is running should bring $200 as long as it isn't smoking real bad. A plow and a blower are two distinctly different animals. Plow is nice for cleaning off a couple inches or a little slush but the blower should handle 8 or 10". The plow leaves behind a snowbank that is hard to move a few days later. The blower leaves no obstructions. I have a Wheelhorse plow that is like new and haven't been able to get $100 for it. I'm guessing you could get a JD plow for $50 but it is sometimes hard to match this equipment up.
Srgnt Billko wrote:

I want to try a plow next Winter just to see..Everyone agrees with You almost verbatum so I'll probably hold on to the blower too and maybe get a plow too and try them both out..I've never used either. Thanks.. Dean

I have a 10ish year old JD GT262 with the snow thrower (they use the word thrower for this instead of blower) here in NJ. I would not want a plow. The thrower works really well. It tosses it up and away from the driveway, carves through the pileup from the plow at the road, and maybe most importantly does not bend up the frame of the little tractor. Plows are known for doing that if you try to work them too hard, and too hard can be less snow than one thinks. Tomes
Tomes wrote:

"Thrower" ok..Bend up My frame? I think You just talked Me out of the plow idea,,I've got a while to decide..Are there any good points to putting a plow on a lawn tractor? Dean

You're not going to bend up your frame unless you lpow crazy like ramming into a snowbank at high speed. I've spread gravel over a driveway with mine and spread large piles of compost over a garden several times. I've even pushed logs around when I am cutting firewood. Just don't ram things with it.
Srgnt Billko wrote:

Ok,,Now I'm back to wanting both again!! LOL...If nuthin else You All know I'm paying attention!! As for being worth $600 - $700 new and .25 now(S Barker I think) I guess I'll just trust My Bro-in-Law as I think He set the price not My Sis..I do'nt usually trust when buying used stuff but Family is Family so $200 is'nt going too far out the door if it's a bummer deal..So far on the first 2 used riders I've spent about $50 per year for the machines and parts I've bought for them,,total..At that rate if I get 4 years from the JD I'll be happy enuff,,more years will just be gravy,,that's all mowing only..The craftsman was $50,,the Murray was $75,,then one battery that's still good and 2 belts,,hmmm that's only about $160 - $170,,I guess gas and oil changes are partly included in a $200 figure for 4 years plus I've gotten maintenance experience I did'nt have before..So far I'm on track with the original plan of saving and learning.. Dean
Dean wrote:

Oops S Barker replied on a different group..So much for paying attention!
On 21 Jan '07, "Dean" wrote:

Which group? (I don't see any crossposts in this thread) I bought a JD 190C last year, strictly for mowing, but this subject has gotten me thinking I may be able to use it for more. We don't have snow here (MS Coast) but I do have dirt I need to spread/push/level over newly filled stump holes. And maybe a few other light "pushing" jobs. I haven't seen the push blades at Lowe's though, and the JD dealer here doesn't stock the lawn tractor sort of stuff. I wonder, would any rental stores rent the blade attachment? (I'd like to try it before I buy it).
Rick
On Jan 25, 10:58 am, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid wrote:

Other group was Googles' alt.home.repair,,My mistake,,is'nt the first but if it's the last that means I just died..NP.. I used the 12 horse craftsman to move a canoe trailer converted from a pop-up camper with 3 or 4 canoes on it no prob..I used the 10 horse Murray rider to drag RR ties accross gravel and grass,,double wrapped with log chain that dug in a bit,,once the ties were moving the Murray got em there and lined-up for stacking,,hooked low on the rider(ball hitch)and the front end never left the ground even tho it's a rear engine..Even a Rider can make projects easier if Ya do'nt expect too much at one time..So far I've bought used ones tho and was'nt risking much when I worked em for other purposes..I have'nt damaged any drives yet but sure played hell on two old engines. Heck,,I once tried to pull a loaded concrete front offloader truck from 3' of sand,,I was on hardpack gravel wheel-hopping like crazy in My 86 High Sierra 4x4 4cyl !! Never budged it but it was a hoot tryin!! that same little truck pulled a dead Ford grain truck with a dead tractor chained to the back up a slight grade on pavement in a light rain!! Dean
"Dean" wrote:

oh! got it.... actually, that's a Usenet Group like this one (Google just likes to claim 'em lol!) Thanks, I'll watch that thread too.
Rick

Hey - you're my kind of operator. I use old (1970) Sears Suburbans (garden tractors) and 1950's Farmall Cubs and Massey Harris Ponies. I'll re-emphasize your tip - "if Ya do'nt expect too much at one time."

"Hey - you're my kind of operator" Damn straight I am!! I see no sense in buying a new rider/tractor till I have a good understanding of the older ones to work with..I plan to do all maintenance and adjustments Myself till I'm too damn old to get it done,,,why trust/pay some stranger if I can do it? Other than the 0-radius mowers the main change I can see(in riders)since the 50s would be hydrostatic transmissions,,the only one I have any experience with was My brothers' before He gave it to His old friend that then had probs with the trans.. I like that idea of multiple riders/tractors with different attachments,,maybe one with a blade,,one with a thrower and one with a mow deck,,I can store em outside if I really want to,,rules here are pretty lax so far with easy-goin neighbors..Just need to find decent older equip for low price..Maintainance should only swamp a guy if all have probs at one time,,otherwise usage is spread between them so mainteance should be too with the possible exception of checking for condensed moisture(oils/gas)and bolts that rust due to non-removal of thrower/blade etc... There is a RR tie retaining wall I can use that is perfect for driving small stuff right into My truck,,if it was any easier I'd be on the floor cryin for joy..LOL,,if I'm gonna do 1/2 of the above I better expand My tools and think about a shelter for the implements!! My Family has a growing canoe/camping get together every summer,,I live near that river so might go and hook the JD to one of the trailers there and give the kids and adults rides thru the campground and/or along the river roads..Just climb in and stay sitting on that life preserver,,,Uncle Dean might get crazy!! Naaaa,,2n gear 1/2 throttle or so should be safe,,,My Family's tough Americans anyway!!LOL. Dean
-snippage-

That's what she said! :)
--
http://NewsReader.Com/ 30GB/Month

If I ever come back in another life that's what I want .... I chuckle to think back when I met a guy in apprentice school who was short & only weighed about 120#'s but had a nickname of "horse" LOL

Uh oh Sarge Bilko,,be carfull what Ya wish for,,bigger "plow" might just mean bigger trouble!! Due to the width and deeper penetration it might be over too soon,,then Ya gotta cool the engine and wait for the next precipitation!! Might be better to just poke away with the average plow..When the Neighbor Lady ca'nt walk to Her car anymore maybe She'll kiss You for plowing Her drive too!! Dean

Yeah, dick boy. J. Holmes jr. <g>
--
http://NewsReader.Com/ 30GB/Month