Alien? grass

Some time ago, I read an article in this group titled something like: "What grass is this?", where the poster asked about a strange grass that was coming up in his newly planted lawn. For the life of me, I've Googled for that, or any article similar to no avail. This past spring I dug up my entire backyard, tilled it, and spread new topsoil and grass seed from our local nursery. The seed was a mixture of blue, rye and fescue and started to sprout within 8 days of sowing. At first, it showed great promise, within a month was looking quite lush and dark green, with an occasional light green blade popping up here and there. Now, 2- months later, those light green blades are spreading everywhere. They grow twice as fast as the dark green stuff, the blades are extremely wide in comparison, and really detract from the appearance. I just mowed on Saturday evening, and already those buggers are to inch taller than the surrounding grass. So, what grass is this, and how can I get rid of it?
Tom & Donna Flyer

It sounds like nutsedge. (also called nutgrass)
--
http://NewsReader.Com /

I think I have that, too. The weeds I have fit your description and seem to be a bulb. You can pull them up individually like a bulb and they sprout in June/July and go down with the first frost.
I tried to spot kill them with weed-be gone type stuff but no luck. Roundup barely kills them and that is ineffective in the lawn but works when it spreads to the beds.
Grinch

Try something that's listed for nutsedge control. do it when it's below 85 degrees and no rain in the forecast within 12 to 24 hours.
--
http://NewsReader.Com /

Sound like annual bluegrass. There is no selective herbicide available that can deal with that stuff. It usually dries out when it gets hot..

Even after reading this from his description? ---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------
It sounds like nutsedge.

--
http://NewsReader.Com /

The stuff growing in my yard is not poa. It is some kind of bulb-like stuff. Much thicker (wider blade) than poa and clumpier.

Does it look like nutsedge?
http://tinyurl.com/9jl4d
--
http://NewsReader.Com /

Congrats Steveo. That's the stuff. Selective killers don't kill it and Roundup barely kills it and destroys the rest of the lawn. It's fairly easy to pull and I've pulled 326 with just 3,442,993 to go.
Any way to keep this from coming back next year ?

I'm the OP, and yes, that's the stuff alright. Tried Bayer's crabgrass killer, which has little affect. Fortunately, we have a smallish lawn, and there's only 2,334,582 plants to pull.. :) As Grinch asked, "Any way to keep this from coming back next year ?"
Tom & Donna Flyer

Manage or MSMA works ok on it. Don't do it if your turf is already stressed from heat/drought tho. Follow the label closely. (you have them counted?)
:)
--
http://NewsReader.Com /

Not really, spraying with Manage nocks it down fairly well with minimal turf damage.
--
http://NewsReader.Com /