Air Filter for Older Lawnboy

I have an older (80s?) lawnboy mower. The air filter cover is constantly coming off and the filter gets dragged out.

Is there a source for cheap "doors"/covers for it? Is there a replacement air filter assembly that won't disassemble under evergreens?

Reply to
ecarecar

The new filter cover will have a hole in it that a clevis pin goes through to keep low branches from removing it. You should go to a Lawnboy dealer and buy the oem cover and pin. Cheap aftermarket covers will not solve your problem.

Reply to
Artemis

This is going to fit on a 20 - 25 year-old mower? I just went to a Weed Eater dealer for a part for a 15 year old machine, and they just snickered.

Reply to
ecarecar

Yes, from 78 through the mid to late 90's.

It is not even remotely fair to compare Weedeater and Lawnboy. Weedeater pretty much makes disposable bottom end products that change every few years. Lawnboy makes high end mowers that are not at all disposable. The

2 cycle engines they produced remained pretty much unchanged for years. Most of the popular parts are still available for the D series that were built in the early 70's.
Reply to
Artemis

Get the model number and look here

see if they show a clip to hold the cover on. The model number is usually on the mower deck, not on the engine. If they don't have a parts list there, post the model number here. I should be able to find what you need.

Reply to
Artemis

The model number is R7268. I won't start denigrating the "gentlemen" that designed this thing, and it is a good mower, but the design of that air filter assembly could be improved and the location of it on the mower was less than perfect, in my opinion.

But anyway, I think the assembly I saw is going to get pulled off eventually, too. What I saw just used another "snap-on" clip of some sort that, in my opinion, is just going to get pulled off like all the others.

Has anybody made an after-market unit? It can't possibly be designed worse than this.

Is there someplace I can buy a case of these assemblies cheap? Has somebody made an alarm system to allert you when the filter falls out?

Reply to
ecarecar

i put a large plastic tie around mine

ds549