Air Conditioning..

I am looking into getting airconditiong installed and I am getting a few quotes but I was wondering if anybody can tell me what I should be looking for in a unit.
King wrote:

Google on "Air Conditioning"?
King wrote:

try alt.home.repair
--
Yard and Garden Handyman

King wrote:

Don't start by looking at the unit. Start by looking at the contractor.
A good contractor will not sell you junk equipment.
The best equipment not installed properly will never work properly.
Get and check references from any contractor. Make sure they do a formal load calculation and check not only for the total cooling required, but also the ductwork required. Make sure they have workman's comp paid current.
Let them pick the brand of equipment that they know is good and familiar working with.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Consumer Reports". Their product reviews point out what to look for as well as what is recommended.
Larry
20 May 2004 01:01:29 GMT,

I reposted your question to alt.hvac for you. Those guys are the best!
Love,
Robert L. Bass

Wrong group. It's alt.home.repair you want
Thanks!!!....
Proclaimed on Thu,

In article

wrong group
All the experts here say that having a good installer is more important than which brand you use. I think that might be true because a good installer will know what the better brands are; on the other hand, if his company doesn't carry a certain brand that is good, he will be unlikely to recommend it.
The question then is how do you know who is a good installer? I am not convinced that references provided by the installer are of much value; he is unlikely to include any complaining customers in his reference list. Also, if a neighbor or relative says an installer was good, that may be of some value, but you have to realize that they dealt with the installer, in all probability, just once, and haven't dealt with any others.
I think BBB complaint lists are useful, but you should also check out how many installations have been done. If two installers have, respectively, 3 and 1 complains on file, the second looks better; but if the first has done a thousand installations, and the second only 1, its a different picture.
I think a good indicator is how long the installer has been in business. A poor installer will not last long, at least under the same name. I know you may miss a good one who is just starting out, but you will be gaining experience.
Second, after finding a few that are established, have them come out and do estimates. Bear in mind that the best talker may be all talk and little performance, so make a list of just what should be done to produce the estimate, and select between those who do everything on your list. A few years ago, before this forum existed, I had my sturdy old furnace replaced with a high efficiency furnace and whole house air. I didn't realize that the installer should have toured the house and made a calculation to determine the proper size. Luckily, the new furnace and air worked, but next time (especially since I added ducting into my finished (unfinished to the tax department) attic, I will take the advice of the experts here and ask to see the calculation.
Another thing I would ask them is where are they going to put the outside unit. Mine they put in the herb garden, and I would rather have had it elsewhere.
King wrote:

there.