Aerating the lawn

Between the core and spike aerators, is one type better than the other? Or easier to use? Or...
I'm trying to decide which kind to get.
Thanks,
-jav

CORE

Does anyone recommend a good brand ? We have bought Agri-fab (see link) and they aerate fine but break easily. Mr. H broke one last year and totalled another this year.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId2166-51660-AE-48&lpage=none

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId2166-51660-AE-48&lpage=none
Thats the one I have. I havent torn it up yet. put a few concrete blocks on there and im good to go. What is he doing to tear them up?

"Just using it" he claims.
Heidi the Horrible wrote:

Bluebird.
--
Art

Bluebird. ?? Is that a brand or a comment ?

I was told the 'core' or 'plug' type creates more surface area for O2, water, and fertilizer to penatrate the soil.
Just saying....
tom @ www.Cupids-Love-Calculator.com
The core is more for a clay type of soil where the spike is for sandy soil.
Tom The Great wrote:

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 16:14:20 GMT, The Wanderer

Well that is extra information. Where I live, we seem to have more clay like soil.
thx,
tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

Tom The Great wrote:

Same here. Good info all around, thanks!
-jav
Tom The Great wrote:

I kinda disagree with that since my spike aerator barely puts a dent in my clay soil, unless I use it after a couple of days of steady rain. I would imagine that a core aerator would have a more difficult time in clay. If you have rocky soil, it is even worse. I have to use tire chains on my tractor when using the spike aerator when the ground is wet, because I'd be slippin' and aslidin' on the slopes on my property. The tire chains add a wider path for aeration as a bonus.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Maybe heavier weight on your aerator might help?
just a guess....
tom

The Wanderer said:

Bullshit. Golf course greens are based upon sand, and core-aerated regularly. You know something that Grounds Superintendants don't?
--
Eggs

- If I went 'round, saying I was an emperor, just because some moistened
Obviously not as much as you old wise one. I can tell by your eloquent diction that you know everything!!!!
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

[Top Posting Fixed]
The Wanderer said:

You stated your opinion as a fact, leading at least two people to believe what you said was true, and may make the wrong choice in aeration because of it. I called you on it, because it's 100% false. Unless of course you have a reputable reference to back up your claim. If not, then you can pretty much shove your smart-assed, patronizing little attitude up your proverbial ass. ;)
--
Eggs

-If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out.
I don't need to play games with you little boy. Drag someone else down to your level. Your condescending attitude and foul mouth is what makes usenet such a joke. Enjoy playing with yourself.
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

core aeration. the spikes just compact the ground. i always rent an aerator since it's not something i do a lot nicole

Nicole wrote:

I agree. One of the goals of aeration is to reduce compaction. When you take a core out, you actually remove a significant plug of soil, which reduces compaction. The spike type will create a small hole, but does it by pushing the soil to the sides which just increases compaction in the adjacent area. Plus, another benefit of aeration is supposed to be bringing some of the soil up to the surface, so that it creates a favorable environment to break down thatch. You get that with a core aerator, but not spike.

    Few weeks ago, I Googled my research and most (if not all cuz I didn't read all) FAQs recommend PLUG type for clay soil, and sprike is okay for sand
    I read the Plug is a better option (my is clay too) so I went with plug (core), and because the clay was so hard that I had to wet the lawn a little for aerator to right.