aerate then slit seed

or the other way around? Does it matter. If I slit seed do I really need to aerate also?
--
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought
of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party.

If you do both, definitely aerate first. The slice seeder will place the grass seed just below the surface, where it needs to be. The aerator would then just dislocate a lot of it.
How much a lawn benefits from aeration depends on the soil/turf condition If it's compacted soil or has excessive thatch, where water has a hard time penetrating, aeration can be a big benefit. In general, if it hasn't been done in many years and you're renovating, I'd aerate.