adding soil around trees?

Page 2 of 2
Red wrote:

Why don't you guys just plant a groundcover under the trees? No more mowing and no more problem with the above ground roots. You're happy. The tree is happy.
On Oct 21, 4:50 pm, do snipped-for-privacy@do.com wrote:

That's ok IF you like the look of ground cover around a tree. I don't. Therefore I wouldn't be happy. And the tree's happiness does not come before mine.
Red
Red wrote:

Your happiness is to kill the tree? Why don't you just cut the trees down then? Sheeeeeesh.
In article
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Yeah-but, what if you accidentally kill the tree by suffocating the roots? How will your happiness be effected by that?
--
Earn Money With Your Web Site
http://www.WebSponsorZone.Net
snipped-for-privacy@THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG wrote:

Give it up. Some people only want you to tell them what they want to hear.

Not sure Cathy, even after reading all the reply data to date.
Common tree I saw at my great-grandfather's home is the pecan. Not sure which type of pecan, I was young. They were 50-60 feet high. The roots were about halfway above the soil line. Couldn't get a lawnmower over it while running, blade would strike the root. These were big stinker roots. Was common in the fall to have fallen leaves well above the root upper surface. Mostly, these roots were exposed all the time.
Common in my neck of the woods are juniper ashe. They have many surface traveler roots. These roots usually get buried by their own fallen leaves/needles. If very dry and windy for awhile, these roots will get exposed again in some cases. Mostly not. A quick pass with a bow rake will easily expose these roots.
Yet, I've seen common as most people in urban areas, trees surface roots covered with concrete except a small area around the trunk. Perhaps even asphalt. And, in some cases, for a tree that's been in that arena for awhile, may be pushing the concrete away from the trunk. Its rare as such tree gets cut down before that can happen.
But, what do we know? We're just common folk observing the real world. Dave