Adding Small Amount of Gas with 2 Cyle Oil Mix to Gas for Lawnmower

Hi,

I recently got rid of my gas powered weed wacker. I plan on buying a

36V rechargeable weed wacker.

I have a quart of gas with 2 cycle engine oil mixed. I want to get rid of this gas. Is it harmful to pour a little of this gas into my lawn mower gas?

Thank You in advance, John N3AOF

Reply to
jaugustine

no, don't do it.

if you have a neighbor who can use it give it to them. know the mix-ratio so they don't destroy their equipment.

else, dump it in the used oil you are returning to be recycled. no need to burn it or dump it out. let it be recycled.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Lawnmower dealer advised me not to do this when I traded in my 2 cycle mower for a 4 cycle mower. I had two cans of gas with oil and gave one to a neighbor and have been using up the other in my weed wacker and chain saw. I added Sta-bil and its been a few years and gas is still good.

Reply to
Frank

Dump gasoline into recycled oil? You might want to check with whoever accepts that oil before doing that. Gasoline oil and there are obvious safety issues involved.

I would find a neighbor or friend who could use it.

Reply to
trader4

they send it back through a refinery, the gasoline will be cracked/boiled off again and the remaining fractions will separate as usual (giving oil, tars, etc.).

much used oil has added water, gasoline, and metals along with many other compounds in it, i wouldn't worry that a pint or two of gasoline added to a drum of recycled oil will harm any refinery.

that would be optimal.

otherwise recycling it would be fine.

just don't burn it or dump it on the ground or use it in a wrong 2 cycle engine (one with a different mix ratio).

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I want to get rid

And you don't think the procedures, storage requirements, handling are different for highly flammable substances like gasoline vs car waste oil?

The state of California, for one, would beg to differ:

"What About Contaminated Oil?

Certified center managers will not accept used motor oil that has been contaminated with other fluids such as antifreeze, solvents, gasoline, or water. So please, don't mix your used oil with anything. However, if your used oil accidentally gets contaminated, your certified center manager can tell you where to take it for proper disposal. Alternatively, you can get information from your local government contact about how to deal with your suspected contaminated oil."

Reply to
trader4

I decided to give the gas to someone I know who uses a gas powered weed wacker.

Again, Thanks to everyone, John

Reply to
jaugustine

If old style can, you may wish to keep the can. The new no spill ones are a PITA.

Reply to
Frank