A question about figs:)

I just realized for the first time that my glorious fig tree produces fruit without a flower. How does this happen? How is it fertilized.

Thanks in advance for any answers:)

Warhola

Reply to
Warhola

The flower is inside the fruit when it first develops so you can't see it. Wild fig trees require a certain type of tiny wasp to enter the fruit where it lays it's egg and in the process fertilizes the fig fruit. Most people don't want a wasp larvae in their figs, so breeders have developed varieties which don't require pollination. I believe the fruit from one of these figs is sterile, but I'm not sure about that.

Reply to
RoyDMercer