Latest threads in Backyard Gardenersshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

rider steering
Well the spindle,bearings(parts finally came) and sharpened blade are all done,made a pass and it cut great,then the steering wore out and missed the neighbors new steel shed by about 6"! A plastic...
7
7

Leaf blower and vaccuum on top of roof
Hi: I need some advise as to the lightest leaf vaccuum that I can use in the following situation. I have a courtyard style home - the house itself wraps around a central courtyard with a pool in the...
7
7

dry lawn
I live in TN. and we are in arrears 8 inches of rainfall. I have watered once about a week ago and am concerned about weekly mowing. Will this just stress the lawn more?? We have an acre of lawn and...
8
8

Cemetery flowers
I just finished putting 9 urns out in 3 cemeteries. . Anybody else doing this for Memorial Day ? http://mysite.verizon.net/vzet83bg/tractorguy/

New Lawn
I have about 800 sq. feet of lawn which is patchy and full of weeds. The soil has a high phosphorus content and not much else. I have heard that a good way to prepare for reseeding is to shovel out...
1
1

Flower bed: use landscape fabric or just plain mulch?
Zone 5 (Southern New England). While renovating a flower bed a previous owner had put in, but it's my first time, so and I'm wondering whether to use landscape fabric to prevent weeds, or just go with...
5
5

How long for Roundup to Kill
I'm renovating a 1,000 sf portion of my lawn. I sprayed it with roundup 5 days ago and again yesterday. Both times I used a slightly stronger mix than recommended. Why a strong mix? I'm trying to kill...
14
14

Anybody know what this weed is?
It produces a seed (not seed head) similiar to the dandelion. It looks like it's snowing when I mow my yard. I am in NC. here is a picture Flickr is almost certainly the best online photo management...
2
2

Repairing a lawn
The garden had been left to its own devices for a year and a half. The lawn has become smothered with dandlions, really big ones, and even doc leaves. We cut the lawn which has left big stems of...
3
3

What to do with deck/porch-
I enclosed my back patio and had it screened. I have had indoor/outdoor carpet out there now for about 7 years. It has gotten soiled and I am going to replace it. I was wondering if I wanted to put...
5
5

Are these carpenter bees?
Noticed a couple of these bees hovering near (and then crawling underneath) the diagonal fascia board (or wood trim) at gable side of building near roof line. Directed some wasp and hornet bug spray...
9
9

Does seed form on long grass?
My grass is getting long and I notice what looks like seeds forming on the ends? Is this what it is? And if so, will it eventually thicken the grass, if some of that seed falls into the soil? Thanks,...
2
2

Pears forming
Used a 35MM SLR instead of the digital to get a close-up: http://mysite.verizon.net/vzet83bg/tractorguy/

New Mower Backfire & Hard Start
I bought a new mower (Poulan Pro 18.5HP 42"), but it was last year's model. It is hard to start usually. If it doesn't start on the first try, it takes another 10-15 tries to start usually. And almost...
2
2

Erratic idle
Group seems more oriented with equipment than gardening itself. Try the question here. Push mower. Wal-Mart source. 4.75hp B&S. 22" cut. 2 years old. Idles good when cold for about two minutes at 60 -...