Latest threads in Backyard Gardenersshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Don't laugh too hard! the mower got borked first time out...
OK, here is the story. I was mowing the lawn, I hit a stick (pine), it bent the right blade AND the bent blade cut into the mowing deck (about 2.5 inches) I think this was a freak accident, but?? The...
34
34

how much water can i add?
I'm going to be doing a fair amount of "borders" type work with sprayer and weed/grass killer. My question is how much, in general, can you cut the stuff you get at Lowes, Home Depot, etc (Roundup,...
7
7

Riding mower
Tired of pushing the mower. Have priced riding mowers. Don't need anything large. Only 3/4 of an acre to mow. Must be a low rider as some of it is on incline. Don't want to topple over. Other wants:...

Redcaps prolific
Lots of redcaps this year - and they very conveniently wait until the blackcaps are finished to ripen. We've been picking them just before noon and having them fresh with our lunch. The remainder goes...
4
4

Tomato leaves turning yellow
Last year my tomato plants were doing fine and then the bottom leaves started turning yellow and it moved up the plants. I did not get many tomatoes out of the deal The same thing appears to be...
18
18

Using plants to control algae
This summer I learned 1st hand how great a pond can look with enough plants. I have a top and bottom pond. The top pond is sparking clean and covered in lilies. The bottom pond is so full of algae you...
7
7

Problem with Fescue
I have a lawn with tall fescue grass. Basically I don't have too many problems with my yard until about mid summer. Every year I notice that after the summer's first real heat /humidity wave, some of...
21
21

Grass for full sun
I'd like to overseed some patches in my lawn, but am not sure what kind of seed I need for an area that gets full sun in the summer, 12 hours worth, but also sees long periods of wet weather in the...
3
3

I need advice for a troubled lawn.
Hello all, I installed sod about a month ago for the first time and I'm having some trouble with it. I don't know what's normal and I don't know what to expect. Please access this link and let me know...

Looking for inexpensive self-propelled lawn mower
Maybe you know a brand I should avoid or one you want to brag on. I'm all ears - as Ross Perot said.
13
13

Brick patio: weeds out of control
I have a 1,200 sq ft brick patio. The weeds are rampant. I have to spray the entire patio with Roundup every 2 weeks. Is there anything I can sweep into the cracks to keep new weeds from germinating?
4
4

verticut bermuda question
I have a patch of bermuda grass that is flat as Twiggy and about 65' X 100'. We use it for a croquet court. I am going to verticut it for the first time. I know there are some golf course guys that...
1
1

leaking sprinkler control valve
I am extending my irrigation system and have built a 3 valve manifold system using Toro 1" solonoid controllers. All the valves work well when I turn them on. I've connected the middle valve ( 2 ) to...
1
1

Selective Herbicide for Bermuda Grass
Any recommendations for what is the best selective herbicide to use against Bermuda Grass in a Fescue lawn? I've used Acclaim in the past. It is fairly expensive and it generally does not completely...
4
4

Wasp
My neighbor has wasps that have made a home between the shingles on his roof. About a month ago we tried a product called No-Pest Wasp & Hornet Killer (tralomethrin, cl--trans Allethrin ??) but now...
2
2