Latest threads in Backyard Gardenersshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Mole Problem
Traps work well.
15
15

New toy
Sprung for a 500,000 btu "weed torch" from Ace hardware. Watch out thistle - here I come !! I know - it's a little overkill but that's the only model they had in stock - and I am hot to trot. (so to...
6
6

Gourds and more gourds
Started picking gourds - about 125 #s today. And maybe 30 - 40 previously. And this is just outside the real gourd patch. So far we just picked volunteers from the two large compost piles, some from...
2
2

My new Craftsman garden tractor needs an alignment bad!!!
Just took delivery of the tractor (a 28750) and it runs very well, I'm very happy with it. One thing though, when I stand in front of the tractor the front wheels clearly show an excessive toe in. I'd...
14
14

Seed dead? Start over?
Planted some Tall Fescue this weekend. I have been watering it for the last 3 days lightly, 3 times a day (or as needed) @ 10 minutes. My wife come home today around noon to check on some things and...
8
8

Burned up my lawn with fertalizer
I am in denver, I think the grass type is tall fescue. I used scott's turf builder on my lawn, now there are huge brown spots, which - I'm sure - are about to become bald spots. What do I do? Just dig...
11
11

kinda on topic ?
I did find it on my lawn.... I come home from my last appointment of the day, I see what looks to be a plastic quart bottle of oil on my lawn. So I'm a little confused (a little more than usual...
10
10

Plant Nutrition and Soil
Hi, I'm trying to find info on seeing what plants need what soil nutrition and how to test the soil. Any ideas? Thanks, Mike
3
3

Lawn Patch, Grass Seed, Fertilizer Shelf life
Does lawn patch / grass seed / fertilizervhave a shelf life - does it go bad? I imagine they either are all good forever or all are not, maybe not? Can each be left outside in the garage during the...
1
1

Spiders in my shop HELP
I am getting large spiders in my shop . I mean huge hairy ones. What kind of spray works the best that I can mix up an put in my spayer to kill these spiders ? Just wondering what you guys have used...
18
18

Picked first paw paws today
And had one with lunch at the picnic table by the garden. We like to eat "fresh" - as in picked within minutes. Also cleared off the volunteer vine plants from the compost pile started last fall. Lots...
2
2

Areator
Kansas lawn and zero turn toro. Should I buy a pull behind areator or is this a waste of money? If one areates enough does it have any smoothing effect? Lawn is 9/10th's of a acre. Looking at the Home...
14
14

valve adapters: brass or plastic
A couple of my 3/4 inch valve adapters need replacing and I was wondering if I should spring for the all brass ones that go for 50$ or the original plastic ones for 20$. These valves sit out in front...
4
4

Thistle weed
Any good ideas on how to control thistle ? We have sprayed in the past but it is very tough and needs a very strong mixture - and we would rather avoid poisons if we can. . We are now digging plants...
7
7

Too late to seed?
having had all sorts of problems over the last year, and not to mention the weather (yikes) I have only managed to get round to clearing out my garden this week, i have yanked out all the previous...
2
2