Latest threads in Backyard Gardenersshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Lawn flattened by builders
Hello everyone! Totally new here, gardening amateur looking forward to the Spring.. Have had some builders leave a lot of building rubbish on our lawn from some work are having done. Lots of heavy...
3
3

hater friction plate removal
I have made a suitable tool to remove the hayter friction plate. I will happily make many more or even one to help users. Hayter James

Lawn Wet and Grass dying
Hello, Our garden and house is about 3 years old nearly and we have mostly had a good lawn. But at the moment the grass is dying at the end and also along one edge and around the base of a tree where...
4
4

Relaying Lawn
We've recently moved into our home and i would like to relay our front lawn. Reasons for this are: - It's really uneven - It's mostly moss The lawn doesn't get much sun due to the hedge which i think...
7
7

Blight in vegetable garden
For many years my husband and I having been growing a large vegetable garde n. The past couple of years we have been experiencing "Blight" my husband s ays there's no way to rid the garden of the...

Lawn Questions & Advice
Hi all, I realise the need for details so I'll try to cover things but if I've missed anything just let me know. I'm a fairly methodical person so I'm happy to be as precise with measurements etc as...
2
2

Autumn lawn fertiliser
Hi I am currently looking for an Autumn lawn fertiliser. I have been doing some research on NPKs that are better suited to Autumn/Winter. I was reccomended a 4-0-14 2fe by a lawn care firm? Most of...
1
1

Reel vs rotary
Most golf courses use Reel Mowers. Separate types for greens and another type for fairways. Usually multiple gangs with self contained power & cab, or tractor towed types. Another type for roughs. . ....

Coping with sod?
[I've never dealt with sod before] The city just sodded the strip between our front sidewalk and the curb and the part of our front lawn that they destroyed while working on our street. They're coming...
4
4

Lawn Aerator
Anybody know where to get an aerator that's basically a 20-gallon barrel with a row of aerator tubes fastened around each head? The one I'm looking for is pulled by hand. I have too much area to cover...
54
54

How to make a crow STFU?
The neighborhood crow pecks around in my yard and makes an awful racket at dawn every day. How do I git rid of him? It's a residential area, so I can't just shoot the bugger. Any tricks for...
1
1

Unidentified Weeds
Good evening everyone, I have 2 problems that I hope someone may be be able to help myself with. I have 2 as of yet unidentified weeds that are proving rather troublesome in eradicating from my...
2
2

Pre-treat weeds with soapy water before spraying weed killer? (2023 Update)
I mix concentrated Ortho Weed B Gon (Plus Grabgrass Control) with water according to the label and use a 1-gallon handpump sprayer. I suppose that it works, but I don't exactly see the spray "wetting"...
30
30

Will crabgrass preventer also stop tree seeds?
We're surrounded by maple trees and a single ash tree, and every summer our lawn is full of hundreds (thousands?) of ash and maple tree sprouts from the seeds they drop. After lopping off their heads...
5
5

Growing grass from seed
Hello I have never grown grass before so would appreciate some advice. When I moved in, my garden was an absolute jungle due to it being untouched for around 10 years. I have now cleared one side and...
5
5