Latest threads in Backyard Gardenersshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Plowed a virgin
plot for extending garden area - with the old Farmall Cub and single bottom plow with coulter disc.
4
4

Would like to plant a magnolia, but...
Hi, I would like to plant a magnolia tree in my front yard, but I know they can get quite large after a while and my yard is up above street level with a stone retaining wall that is about 3 feet...
3
3

dandelions and clovers
Every spring I have a patch of Clovers and Dandelions. Every Spring I put down a broad leave herbicide; they all die off. Then the following spring I do the same thing all over again. How can I end...
5
5

watering cherry tree
How much should I water my brand new-to-me cherry tree? And when? I just planted a Lapins Sweet Cherry from Miller Nurseries, and a week from today, I have to go away for about 3 weeks. I have a...
6
6

Tomatoes and Cilantro
I am currently growing some tomatoes plants in containers and am wondering if I can grow Cilantro in the same containers?

Picked first asparagus
Just a handful - enough for supper.
3
3

Mowing a recently sown lawn
I seeded a lawn (from scratch) about 3 weeks ago. The grass is no between about 7 & 13 cm high. Should I give it its first mow or wait while longer? Also there is a certain patchiness (I probably...
3
3

Sold 2 tractors
Cleaning out the old stuff and looking for a newer machine. The Farmall H went last week and the International 300 Utility with front bucket went last night. Next on the block is the Farmall Super A...
2
2

mulch and gravel
I have pine bark mulch next to the house foundation. It could be considered a fire hazard and I would like to replace it with gravel. Question!!! Should I remove the mulch, lay down plastic and then...
11
11

Apple Tree
Hi all, We would like to plant some apple trees in our back yard. Our local Home Depot & Lowes store has some dwarf trees for sale, The trees are about 5 ft tall & look pretty much just like twigs. My...
1
1

To Till Or Not To Till
I have a city lot in Milwaukee. I purchased the house last July, and posted here about what to do with the unkempt lawn... Thanks to the suggestions I got here, I got rid of most of the weeds without...
14
14

irrigation question
I'm involved in a community veggie garden at church. Our well water is high sulphur and high iron. Do either of those hurt anything? The lawns thrive on it. No sure about veggies.
1
1

Training old grape vine...
I have a extremely large, (in my opinion), grape vine that has taken over a split rail fence and it has been there for at least 20 years. I would like to extend the fence another 25 feet but instead...
2
2

Puppy & Plants
How do you stop a puppy from eating your plants?
5
5

Washing Mower Deck ?
Hello I have a Cub Cadet 1527 Mower Tractor with a 42 in. deck , have had the usual problem with grass sticking to the underside of the deck and the damage that goes with this problem , I had the deck...
14
14