Latest threads in Backyard Gardenersshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

smoothing out the top soil
Just took out my backyard above ground pool. It requires about 18 yards of top soil to fill it back in (was a 24' round pool). How do you smooth out the soil over a large space like that as a home...
7
7

Is this plant a friend or foe to my lawn?
I noticed a certain plant growing on my lawn this year that I haven't seen before. I took a couple of pictures. Can someone tell me if I have something to worry about. Right now they are growing in a...
4
4

New house, have seeded the garden but very patchy
Hi All, Hope you can help me here, we have just purchased a new-buil and as such have taken the onerous task of seeding the garden. It had 4" deep topsoil layer, so we levelled out as best we could,...
8
8

NEED INFO ON MUSHROOM GROWING
hi, anyone growing mushrooms can let me know where to buy spores? thank you,lucas ---------------------------------------------------------------- http://www.minibite.com/america/malone.htm

New turf on old
I laid meadow grass as a quick and dirty solution last year but now wan to replace the area (36sqm) with good quality turf and also build up th area by around 2". I ideally want to lay straight on top...
1
1

poisen ivy--scotts roundup poisen ivy
forget it--used it on rather large infestations--only areas it did anything to was the leaves that it was sprayed on --wilted after 10 days so far--nothing appears systemic--no major temprature...
4
4

Craftsman Rotary Lawn Mower NEVER STARTS!
This barely used mower has been repaired twice by Sears. It still does not start. New fluids, air filter, spark plug. Any suggestions on how to get it to work? I cannot imagine going back to Sears...
6
6

iron supplements?
I have yellowing grass and I was told that my lawn probably needed some iron supplementation. But I'm confused--here's what I saw at Home Depot but I don't know which supplement to purchase. -Miracle...

growing grass over previously mulched area
Hello! I want to convert an area that used to have mulch on (area used to have shrubs and such) to an area covered by grass. I removed all the shrubs and such and have not remulched the area for a...
1
1

Core aeration
Hello, I'm looking at aerating my lawn, as I now have one that's in reasonabl condition and I want to keep it that way. I was going to start doing it by using a fork but then read that cor aeration's...
2
2

clover lawn - need advice
Our new Church (in Maine) has a very large lawn area on leveled, post-build-new-lot soil, which is not too good (since the next addition will go there, eventually). It has spotty lawn at the edges...
10
10

Craftsman mower scalps lawn- need repair advice
My guess is that one mandrel assembly is out of alignment on my one year old craftsman 20hp 42" model 917.27682. It was scalping the lawn when going over bumps at low heights. I thought it was a bent...
2
2

Mars landing OK
Apparently we have a safe landing on Mars and pictures should be coming back about 9:30 PM. So far all indications are that everything has happened as planned.

Weed Eater problem
I have a two year old weed eater that will not run now. It has less than 20 hours on it. Three weeks ago it ran perfect, I try today and it will only run for 1-2 seconds. If I "pump" it it will run...

Mower wheels
I was looking at my mower and actually may be able to raise the height by changing the front wheels, at least. The back ones may adjust down low enough. With the front ones, I measured the outside of...
4
4