Latest threads in Backyard Gardenersshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Reddish "Golf Balls" Appearing On Tree ?
Hi, Live outside of Boston. Have this tree in my front yard about 29 feet tall or so. Have no idea what it is. Has pointed leaves, no cones. Moved in about 4 yrs ago, and tree was like, well, just...
4
4

Unusual little buggers
For the last few days I have noticed little white critters drifting in the air, in the evening. At first I thought it was just drifting ash from someone's fire. They are snow white, with little wings,...
1
1

Atco Ensign problems
18 months ago our lawn mower became ill and would lose power whilst cutting the grass. The mower would tick over ok (albeit with timing issues), but when moving, the engine would just cut out. We were...

Fungus-seaweed-algae
Hi, this issue is driving me a little nuts and as i do not have green fingers I have joined this group and hopefully have posted in the right forum. The previous owners of our house laid down an area...

Liquid aeration
Anybody have any direct experience with liquid aeration products like Turf2Max, Nitron, Aerify, etc etc. I just happened to read something on these types of products. Basically, I don't know how they...
3
3

Where can I buy this broad spectrum fungicide (Abound, Amistar, Bankit, Heritage, and Quadris) ?
I'm wondering if there is a home-owner or over-the-counter source for a fungicide with the active ingredient azoxystrobin. Azoxystrobin is a broad spectrum preventive and curative systemic fungicide....
2
2

Win a Set of Garden Furniture - Competition!
Sainsbury's has launched a fantastic new range of non-food items only available through their website. From small to large, simple to spectacular, is now selling bikes, bookcases, kitchen kits and...

White pines and my new driveway
I just had the old driveway removed and the roots ripped up. They put down a bit of gravel (far less than the 6" promised!), 1.5" of a binder and finally, the finish layer of asphault. How do I keep...
1
1

Grass seed on a lawn with crabgrass
Hello all Zone 5 - Rhode Island - not coastal. This spring, I replanted my front lawn (3000 sq ft). I realize the spring is not the best time to plant, but I had to do it. I top-dressed with a...
5
5

grass seed
Hello, Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice?? Would like to no how late in the year u can put grass seed down???
10
10

How to fix a perma-squealing B&D 16" corded e-ic hedge trimmer
I actually have two with the same problem. They run fine, but they now also squeal without relent. Can I take it apart and get it to stop the noise?
8
8

Good idea to always hose down the lawnmower?
I understand that the grass on the lawnmower corrode the metal. Would hosing down the mower after every use, be bad idea. Or would the overspray water create problems in the engine?
7
7

Electric mulching lawn mower vibrating
My new Black and Decker Model MM275 electric plug in mulching lawn mower sends quite a high frequency, low power vibration through to the handle. My last electric had no vibration (not a mulching...

Horse Flies
[....] "Unfortunately, research conducted at the University of Kentucky showed that the traps attract many more beetles than are actually caught. Consequently, susceptible plants along the flight path...
15
15

Gorgeous flower art
Something else that's not exactly gardening but certainly related to plants... Some of you might know about Curtis Botanical Magazine, it's been creating beautiful illustrations of flowers since the...