Latest threads in Backyard Gardenersshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Garden Tractor fuel gauge
You know, the kind that has a solid plastic float that operates a flat screw type axle to turn a needle in the cap showing the amount of fuel left. These plastic floats seem to allow gas to permeate...
18
18

Expired Grass Seed Any Good?
The other day when I was at my local hardware store, they were already starting to put out the grass seed, fertilizer, garden hoses, flower and vegetable seeds, and other spring items. So anyway, when...
2
2

My Poor Lawn
Hi everyone thanks for reading, i joined this site because im having a few problems with my lawn! I have enclosed a picture for you to see the problems, i have terrible yellow patches from our puppy...
3
3

Oily Water Turned Soil Gray!!!
Hi everyone, A few months ago, my car had a major oil leak ( Rear Main Seal ), and when I started it up, oil basically POURED right out in A STREAM, and my car went through one quart of oil in like 5...
15
15

Preparing clay for turf
Hello I'm new to the forum and had a quick look around and couldn't find any other posts which answer this question. I have an area of ground (11m x 4m) which I would like to have turfed in April. The...
2
2

Castillo Bonsai Updated.
Hello, friends! We inform you that we have updated the "Trees" section of our website with new assortment of species with a very interesting price, which I believe may be of interest to you. Also, we...
1
1

Tomatoes
Tomato seeds should not be planted outside before the last frost as frost will kill the seedling. Whenever that is expected for your area start the seed about 6 weeks prior to that in a planter inside...

Re: When do you start tomato seeds/when do you set them outdoors?
Zootal and Jmac, Tomato seeds can be started indoors 6-8 weeks before you expect to set them outside. I live in Philadelphia, and my last expected frost date is May 15th. So I will add a week to that...
6
6

Clay soil improvement
My garden soil in Jacksonville, OR is heavy clay that dries out and becomes hard and water resistant during summer. Water can puddle on the surface, but if the soil is scratched, it is bone dry a...
10
10

Dead grass redux
Having read the "dead grass" thread, I'm afraid I'm in for bad news. Writing from SE Michigan, zone 6. The front lawn has a maple tree - red maple, I think - at least in the fall the leaves turn red....
15
15

dead grass
hi. looking for some advice. i bought a new build house in mid-november and the lawn had been freshly laid for our arrival front and back. since then we have had a very bad winter (as you are all...
16
16

My Winter Escape: Planning My Tomato Garden
I live in Philly and we are in the midst of a blizzard, with 20 inches of snow already and still falling! But I'm getting a little spring fever as I am planning my garden and shopping online for...
8
8

Succulents
I was wondering...can Succulents be grown in a desert climate? Thanks!
3
3

Portable Home Generator Questions
After last month's ice storm in North Carolina, I have decided to invest in a portable generator. After some research at various sites, I am certain that around 8 kw will fit my needs. However, I...
81
81

weed and feed
hi there where can i buy weed and feed in bulk i.e. a pallet of 25kg bags thanks ro -- 4x4rob
2
2