Latest threads in Backyard Gardenersshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Lawn help for total beginner
Hello all, i have just moved into a new house and the lawn is a real mess. big bald spots, weeds and moss. i started with a weed and feed which has killed the moss. i raked the dead black moss off. It...
1
1

Manually polinate plum tree?
Plums are almost always pollinated by bees, there is little or no wind pollination apparently. Some are self fertile, others are not and some in between. The other trees might or might not be a...
1
1

Reefer Shows Orange Discoloration on outside
I have a two-year old reefer in my unheated garage. Why does it want to show what looks like rust on the door outsides (freezer and cooler part)? I clean it and it comes right back. TX

Reseeding a turf lawn
Is it ok to just sprinkle lawn seed on top of the lawn, as i dont have a problem with birds
1
1

Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet)
If you have some recommendations for some plant types for me, that would be great as I'm not sure what to get. Here are my requirements: Portland, Oregon. Evergreen shrub/bush/whatever. 2 to 7 feet...
1
1

Lawn idiot needs help
Hi there, I have a badly maintained lawn that needs some assistance to get back to health. I put the lawn in 2 years ago and then injured myself badly enough that I was unable to do any gardening...
4
4

Lawn newbie needs to check that google is right.
Hi all, I moved last autumn and bought my first house with a garden. I`m quite happy with the garden as it is, lots of flowering shrubs and a few trees, the lawn looks a little worse for wear so i`ve...
6
6

Could Anyone Tell Me What This Weed Is???
hi, new to here... just trying to find out what this weed is in my garden.... its coming up all over my lawn. many thanks steve p.s ive got bigger images if needed...
1
1

Electric mower battery
Got a dumb question.... I have an electric mower that uses two 12V lead = acid batteries wired in series to give 24V. The batteries are marked = 18Ah. Cost is around $100 for one 12v, or $140 for 2 in...
5
5

mower packed up need new one
well my mower packed up and need a new one and im looking at 2 mowers 1321 and 1294 one is john deere jx90cb and the other honda hrh536hx just wanted to no what to go for and why needs to work in the...
1
1

Countax 600h 4wd problems
Hi can anyone help? my Countax 600h has an oil leak. I can see where from but oil spraying out of the exhaust! which cant be good, it looks like it might be oil from the transmission. any help would...
1
1

weed killer "gel"
Has anyone noticed any "Weed & Grass Killer Gel" that "clings" to plants on the shelves of a national chain recently? It's made by Spectracide whose products I normally hate but this stuff works...

Concrete under lawn
I bought a house last year and have finally got around to starting to sort out the garden. For some strange reason there is a block of concrete in the middle of the rear lawn. I thought it may have...
2
2

Riding mower
I have lots of time and enjoy cutting the grass. I don`t need or want all of the fancies on a mower and it`s time to get a new one. My question---Is a $1800 mower so much better than a $900 one. A 38...
2
2

How to calibrate Republic EZ broadcast spreader (2023 Update)
As the forsythia are about to bloom in Connecticut, I prepared to put down fertilizer and crabgrass preventer, but lost the book on my Republic EZ broadcast spreader. There is a mark to calibrate it,...
7
7