Latest threads in Backyard Gardenersshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

I'm new to this site and need some advice.
First of all remove stones,big obects from dig the soil over and add any necessary soil conditioning materials such as coarse sand, organic matter such as well rotted compost, bonemeal you can spread...
2
2

oldie but goody
God said: "Frank, you know all about gardens and nature. What in the world is going on down there on the planet? What happened to the dandelions, violets, milkweeds and stuff I started eons ago? I had...

B&S engine idles good, Smokes black at high speed.
It seems fairly obvious that fuel is bypassing the high-speed jet. Maybe the needle has worn down. If gas was not bypassing the high- speed jet, with the jet fully screwed in, the engine would die at...
8
8

Ride on Mower Problem
Hi All Newbie here so go gently. I have a rather old (by today's standards) Lawnflite 555 ride on. As soon as I got it I had to service, oil and grease and sharpened the blades. He was desperately in...
1
1

Lawn edge care
Hi folks, I'm new around here and looking for advice. We have quite a large area of lawn, it surrounds our whole house in a wavy shape. The lawn is raised anything from4-8 inches from the path level...
1
1

Mower problem
Suffolk punch. Running erratically at higher speed and stalls when idling. I have change the points and the gap is what is displayed on the plastic cover. Cleaned the needles, float chamber. I am...
3
3

Yellowing bean plants
This is what I use when training students. Hope it helps N = Nitrogen Keeps lawn green and helps with disease and wear tolerance P = Phosphates Promotes root growth. K = Soluble Potash Strengthens...
1
1

advice please
hi a bit of advice please,ive just moved house and have dug up the slabbed surface is quiet stodgy almost clay like,i want to lay turf but have been told of different ways to do this,one being lay a...

Need your help, which one to buy: JD Z245 or TORO SS5060
Hello, I am looking to buy a new zero turn lawn mower and there is two model who intereste me. I never owned one before. I need your help to make the best purchase. Which one would you recommend...
2
2

Tecumseh Flymo Dellorto question
Hi all, newbie here. Just acquired a s/h 18" Flymo (it's actually a Crown, if you've ever heard of that--Google hasn't). It appears that this hover has been used incorrectly, maybe for quite a while....
3
3

Pump/pressure tank detective needed
Hey guys, My dad and I have a perplexing water problem that we can't reason out. Hoping there's some detective out there... We have a shallow well and a jet pump, about 20m head to the house, a...
2
2

White flies at it again
What's the best organic spray for these rascals. I know soap does a = pretty good job -- what kind of soap works? Someone also mentioned = soaking a cigar or other tobacco in water for a few days and...
12
12

Shade grass seed. Does it exsist?
I have a part of my lawn underneath a Blue Spruce tree. I want to mix in some new dirt under the tree to counter the damage caused by 40 years of dropped needles, but what do I look for in grass seed...
11
11

Bald Spots. Any Hope?
My garden is on a slope. It is also very uneven. I also have two active dogs with a third coming in a couple of months. To get up the garden there are steps then a path then the shed. To the left of...

Dying Grass
Hi everyone, Im posting on behalf of my Dad who is having problems with his lawn. He has patches of grass that are dying. When he dug up a patch of the dead grass there is a white powdery substance in...