Latest threads in Backyard Gardenersshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Organic Tomato Magic!
Top Converting Gardening Product On CB. How To Double Your Tomato Harvest, $50 Upsell Go Here...
1
1

Tomatoes
Is it springtime yet?
2
2

damage to my lawn?
I have a good quality lawned garden, but I am thinking of buying a log cabin to use as a garden home office. I am worried about possible damage to my lawn caused by the shadow of the cabin denying...
2
2

Looking for a natural, biodegradable mulch mat
Hi folks, I'm new to the boards, and am happy to meet you all! I live in SoCal, and am looking for recommendations on a mulch-type mat. I'd like it to be made from natural materials that can...

ground cover
just started reading here. have to redo the yard as it was destroyed when the new house was built. Know nothing about this but would like if it is possible to use a ground cover instead of grass so we...
12
12

How large is your lawn?
Let's have fun. How many square feet of lawn do you care for? I originally underestimated my lawn's size because I thought my shoe was exactly 12 inches long, but it's actually 12.75 inches long. I...
2
2

Crab Grass.
Some background: So I bought this house two summers ago. When I moved in it had been empty for over 6 months. The lawn was a mess. There were weeds growing that were taller than my 7 year old son. My...
7
7

Henbit and vinegar
Five-percent white distilled vinegar from the grocery store will kill henbit, a cool-season annual weed. But I think the vinegar needs to work in conjuction with some other factor to be effective...
1
1

Eliminating zoysia without chemicals
Everyone knows zoysiagrass is a tough grass to get rid of. Why anyone would want to get rid of it, I don't know because zoysia is so gorgeous in the spring and summer. But I found a page at URI that...
5
5

Applying Calcitic Lime and/or Dolomitic Lime to the lawn and garden
I'll probably apply some calcitic lime over one of the last snow falls in early February, and rely upon the melting snow to carry the lime into the soil. I read that lime is slow-working and it can...
3
3

Strawberry-like weed in lawn
Would anyone know what kind of weed the photos below show? It's some kind of trefoil weed, I think, because the leaves come in sets of 3. And sometimes this weed produces a red thing that looks like a...
3
3

Zoysia versus Bermuda
My neighborhood is mostly zoysia lawns, but there are a couple Bermuda lawns down the street and a fair number of cool-season lawns here too. Pretty much everything goes in the Transition Zone of St....

Purple Nutsedge versus Zoysia
If purple nutsedge establishes itself in small spots of bare earth where there was no grass (for example, where a veggie garden used to be), how does this nutsedge fare against surrounding zoysia...
3
3

Fine Fescue flavor: K31 or creeping red fescue?
Does anyone know which kind of fine fescue was most commonly used by home builders in the early 1970's on the lawns of suburban homes in the St. Louis area or other Transition Zone areas? If you don't...
1
1

Rabbits harming lawn. Cats the solution?
There are lots of rabbits in my neighborhood. Some of them like to lounge on my lawn which is fine except the loungers usually destroy one-foot- long swaths of zoysia grass after they've been laying...