Latest threads in Backyard Gardenersshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Looking for Lawn Mower Reviewers
Hi everyone, I hope I am posting in the right section. I am looking for people who own, have used and are knowledgeable about the following lawn mowers to write reviews for a gardening magazine:...

kill roots before sowing new lawn
Hi, I have just cut down an area of tree and shrubs about 10 feet by 30 feet, and pulled up the roots as best I can. The previous owner was an old lady so the shrubs have ran wild for at least twenty...
2
2

Clumps of grass help please?
Hi folks Newbie here. Any advice much appreciated! Last year I planted a turfed lawn. It has come on really well and I'm pleased with it. Only thing is some sections seem to be doing really well,...

My lawn feels awful...advice needed please
Hi all, My lawn is approx. 80ft x 25ft with a very large (16ft diameter) area of which the turf has been removed for our above ground swimming pool. I went out today and the feel under foot of the...
2
2

Not Another Lawn ?
It's never a good idea to remove too much grass at one time. Best practice is to remove no more than 1/3 of what's there. So, when you cut it after letting it get overgrown you should have set the...
1
1

Soil for new lawn – type of soil and supplier
Hello I am in the process of landscaping my garden. I need new soil for my lawn approximate 50mm thick for an area of 20 meter by 20 meters. Approximately 20m3. Which soil should I use (details so I...
1
1

Springtime
It`s springtime--- where is everybody? I`m looking forward to cutting grass, planting some veggies, and all that goes with this time of year. What are your plans for this spring?
3
3

Very soft lawn
I've just bought a new build that was complete in June/July last year. The grass is long in parts, a bit matted in others. The most annoying thing is the ground is very soft. I've stopped walking on...

Garden Newbie - Advice on growing a grass lawn
I moved into a new flat in October last year which has a small attached garden. The previous owners had been absent for a while so the garden was overgrown and full of weeds. I treated the garden with...
1
1

Size Of Pond
How Many Carp Could I Ethicaly Have In A Pond 4 Metres X 5 Metres 1.5 Metres Deep?
1
1

If you have squirrels stealing your bird seed this might be of interest
Squirrels stealing your birdseed?
2
2

Lawn Mower Engine Help (petrol)
Hi Guys I have recently bought a 2nd hand petrol lawnmower, its a partner 146. The problem is with the engine which is a Briggs and stratton quantum 35. Basically when i got it the housing which holds...
4
4

Corn Gluten Meal as a preemergent against weeds - llll
Well, the clock is ticking. Pretty soon it'll be time to apply preemergent herbicide. I only use organic, natural products on my lawn ever since I had a horrible experience with some synthetic...
2
2

How do you measure soil PH???
I'd like to measure the PH of my soil. I have PH paper. Stick it in a liquid, compare color to chart and I have the PH. But dirt is not a liquid. Put dirt in water and some stuff will dissolve and...
1
1

black lawn
a well known lawn company as applied 2 treatments of autumn and winter chemical on my lawn in the space of four days .they should have only applied 1. now my grass is slowly turning black in patches....
1
1