10 yo Toro 8HP snowblower

Owned by a couple in their 80's. Said it had less than 10 hours on it - hasn't run in 3 years. Tomorrow I get a first shot at trying to get it running. It's been in a garage and it has electric start. If I can get the old gas cleaned out it should start right up.

What are the odds? 5/2 no go. :)

Pessimust <chuckle>

Old gas won't be the problem. A varnished shut main jet or stuck float will be more likely. A good machine IIRC.

Yup - when I said "old gas" I really meant including cleaning it out. I'll drop the bowl and disconnect the line in and squirt a little carb cleaner thru the inlet. Try to start and if that doesn't work, take the carb off and soak it.

You have recoil start rope on hand too? <g>

Nope - I usually push them down a hill and pop the clutch to start them.

Living in that mansion on the hill has its perks?

Pulled the gas line off the shut-off valve and let the old gas drain out. Dropped the bowl and gas ran out through the float valve so I figured that was OK. Cleaned the bowl out. Blasted a little carb cleaner through the main jet. Put it back together & put a little fresh gas in. Plugged it in and - lo and behold, she fired right off. Ran a little rough so I opened up the main jet a little - and now I'll just change the oil and run it. Well - two more things - the auger isn't disengaging properly. If I get a chance I might look into it but more than likely I'll run it and see if it loosens up. And when the shift lever is positioned in "1st" speed forward it goes in reverse (damn near backed over me) LOL.

There ya go. Does it have the "record player" trans?

Never heard that expression - but I assume you mean the large steel drive disk with a smaller rubber wheel that slides across the face. Probably but I haven't opened it up yet. There is probably an adjustment in the long rod that goes from the handle down to the entry in the box but like I said, I haven't really looked it over. One of my many shortcomings is that if I get it running I'm ready to move on to the next project (and she was waiting for me :))

That's the one. My Simplicity did something similar when the wheel with the rubber tire siezed onto it's shaft. Good luck with your next project. It'll be a few days before the snow flies.

Congrats on getting it to run. I picked up a bushwacker and after a carb kit it runs, but still runs rough.